annoying xp problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by harris24982, Feb 2, 2006.

1. harris24982

harris24982 Private First Class

hi
    ive got a couple of things in my newly installed xp that are annoying me

first everytime i do something like connect to the net there is a popup telling me wots happening like wot speed ime connected at stuff like that is there eneyway to remove it?

second every so often when i click on a weblink it freezes that page and i have to alt+controll+delete to shut that page everyother site works but i have to reboot before i can click links think this maybe a memory problem as i am only running 256MB till i get the chance to buy 1gig or is there something else that could be the problem

thanks

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm.... I'm not certain how to do it in windows, but there is a way. Maybe someone can help you.

But, if you were to download TweakUI from microsoft, there's a setting there that you can use to disable balloon popups.

As for the second problem, which browser are you using?

3. harris24982

harris24982 Private First Class

hi
    ille have a look at tweakui when i get a bit more time online

ime useing internet explorer 6.0 sp2

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling. Usually an easy step to try. You can do it in the windows components section of add/remove programs.

5. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I believe the pop-ups will stop if you right click My Computer, click on Manage, click on Services and Applications in the left pane, click on Services in the right pane, and disable the Messenger Service. (Double click Messenger and change the start-up type to disable, then click on stop. Click Apply and OK.) This is how I stopped the printer pop-up notification on my system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds