another dumb w7 question!

Discussion in 'Software' started by CatT, Jun 15, 2011.

1. CatT

CatT I can't follow the rules

where is "windows update"?! i'm used to seeing that on the start menu popup.

i've managed to track it down via Control Panel >> System and Security >> Windows Update, but that feels kludgey. where does one normally access it?

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Thats it, or click the start orb, then just type windows update, and it finds the app.

3. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Start > Windows Update is what I normally do.

There's also using Internet Explorer or you can also go to MS's website and look there, but I just do the Start menu one.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

cab, windows 7 doesn't have it at the top of the menu like xp did.

5. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

It does on all 3 of my Win7 computers. OK, I guess it's Start > All Programs first but then it's right there in alphabetical order between Windows Media Player and XPS Viewer.

You could also right click the shortcut where ever you find it and Pin to Start Menu.

6. CatT

CatT I can't follow the rules

oh yeah, i have it under all programs too - thanks. feels slightly less kludgey than going thru the control panel.

i don't like that "search" box, btw. it's like the "run" box of yore. i'd much rather know exactly where things reside, even if i have to go hunt thru my explorer tree to find them.

speaking of which, w7 has 2 diff folders "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)". izzat normal? what exactly is the distinction?

7. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

x86 is for older 32 bit system program files. Yes it's normal and some programs will install in it while others will install in the regular (64 bit) folders. It's nothing worth losing sleep over.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

I like the search box, since it can pull up programs, pictures, email, etc. Well, I do have outlook, so perhaps that is the reason it can also pull up email.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds