another hard disk issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m00, Aug 19, 2004.

1. m00

m00 Private E-2

bran new hard drive....same issue as old one ...VERY SLOW...transfer rates around 1-3mb/s

system is a: amd 1800+, 384mb of RAM, winBLOZE xp home, maxtor 6Y120L0 120GB 7200 RPM ultra-ata/133 Hard Drive set as master with no slave (tried cable select made no difference)

i noticed one thing....in the bios it sais PIO mode i have option to change from 0-5 and auto dont see anything in there anywhere about udma or whatever but the bios is suppossed to support it so is that the problem?
    i have a sis5513 ide udma controller according to device manager and in it it shows it set as UDMA mode 6

ive disabled alot of the dum services xp comes with enabled..ive closed everything i possible can and its still slow.....tried defrag....formatted....tried FAT32 and NTFS....currently NTFS running outta ideas as ive tried everything ive found in google searches

im open to suggestions anyone?

p.s. if more sys info is needed i can look it up

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

PIO mode is most definitely the problem. What type of cable do you use? if the ide cable you use has only 40 wires on it, then it's the reason behind pio. it should have 80 wires. did the bios always have the same issue? or is it something you just noticed?

3. m00

m00 Private E-2

ive gotta few cables here ive tried different ones all the same....but im not 100% sure if ther 40 or 80 know anywhere i can find a screenshot of them to tell the difference?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

5. m00

m00 Private E-2

*starts counting wires* lol

6. m00

m00 Private E-2

oh and the bios thing i just noticed it im pretty sure its always been like that

7. m00

m00 Private E-2

well it was a 40.....ive got like 5 cables lying around and 3 of them are 40s lol

ok im runnin total commander i dunno if anyone knows what this is but its a file manager wher eu can copy, move, delete etc....has a few other features..good program anyways,

it shows the speed of copying it starts out at around 10mb\s and ends stays around 5m/s still ALOT better then starting out at 2mb and ending up around 1mb but shouldnt it still be faster?

p.s. thnx for that link to tell the diff between cables

8. DavidGP

In the Bios I always have the detect ( Standard CMOS menu ) set to Auto and the IDE Conductor cables set to Auto ( Intigrated Peripherals menu ) *note most bioses can be different*

do you also have updates chipset drivers installed?

noticed you have SIS chipset... update them to latest if you are not updated already http://download.sis.com/ either IDE or SATA/RAID which ever you are using.

edit: just noticed update...... yep get a 80 ribbon cable and you should be set :)

9. DavidGP

10. m00

m00 Private E-2

ok im downloading sandra thingy as i type this and yes i have the updated sis controller driver thingy.....(wow i have a good way with words eh lol)

ok i noticed something after i put the 80 cable in in the device manager it said UDMA Mode 2 instead of mode 6....i read about that somewhere and yer possed to uninstall it reboot and winBLOZE will reintsall it so i did..and it worked said UDMA Mode 6 now....but now im back at extremely slow speeds of 1-2mb/s :S

11. m00

m00 Private E-2

ok this is really starting to get frustraiting.....how can i change the udma mode in windows....when it was at udma mode 2 it worked alot faster then udma mode 6 its gotta be a windows problem maybe i should just do a quick format and reinstall since atleast now i got the 80 cable connected instead of the 40

12. m00

m00 Private E-2

SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller sais this
    UDMA Mode 6

however Primary IDE Channel sais this

Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

so what the....i dont get it i hate winBLOZE xp

13. DavidGP

well if yuo have all your important data backed up and can afford to do a re-install from fresh, then that maybe the better option that wasting a few hours trying to fix the problem when a re-install takes around 40mins!

before the re-install.. do you have in IDE channel properties "DMA if Available" or PIO in the Transfer Mode?

also you could delete the IDE channels and reboot and let XP pick them up and install them again.... but BACKUP before doing this.

14. m00

m00 Private E-2

have it at DMA if available

tried uninstalling the devices and rebooted and let it reinstall them made no difference id say to hell with xp and goto 98 but if i remember correctly FAT32 doesnt like partitions over 32GB and on a 120GB drive thats hard to accomplish less then 32GB

15. m00

m00 Private E-2

ack ima try win98 hopefully i wont run into any 32gb issues

16. m00

m00 Private E-2

ok win98 wouldnt even work fdisk cant partition the drive its too big or something, so i tried xp home again

but before i did i messed around with bios settings apparently the power management HAS to be enabled for UDMA to work!...i dunno what one has to do with the other but ya its now working at UDMA Mode 5 i guess bios doesnt support mode 6 but thats ok i can live with 5

i used SANDRA to benchmark drive and it got 19MB/s
    when i copy stuff with the drive max i ever got was 17MB/s but alot of the time its still around 5MB/s

i think i just need to tweak it some to get it higher weather i get it working or not thanks for the help

17. DavidGP

with XP home are you using FAT32 or NTFS? personally I wouldnt touch Fat32 again its too limiting for modern HDs plsu the security of your data with NTFS is far superiour.

there are some tweaks for transfer rates but they are only for NTFS afaik.

have a look at these two good registry tweaking sites ( BUT be warned editing the registry can be harmful to your PC as well as state of mind.. so backup before editing & write or print out what you have changed... you can if editing a registry key back it up using right click > export )

http://www.winguides.com/registry/

http://www.tweakxp.com/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds