another ram question..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlthemailman, Aug 30, 2005.

1. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

ok, so, i have a question.

on my cpu i have 3 sticks of ram. 2x256, and those are samsung, and 1x512 kingston, and they have all worked together quite well. however, to my disatisfaction, a bestbuy worker told me taht if i upgarded my mother board, i probably wouldnt be able to keep my ram because it's not dual channel. what program should i download to tell me if it is or isn't dual channel? i have heard everest and aida 32 are good, but i am not into guessing games when it comes to downloading things, so your advice would be much appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Everest should do what you want ( Aida32 was the fore runner of Everest, the programmer sold Aida32 to Lavalys developers of Everest http://www.aida32.hu/ in 2004 )

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

IMHO, your ram should be fine. More than likely, that best buy guy/gal wanted you to buy "Dual Channel" memory. Anyway, it is the board that has to support it. The usuall answer is that both memory modules need to be IDENTICAL, for dual channel to work.

But, reading here and there, it appears you just need 2 sticks of ram the same size.

Though, SIS is coming out with a chipset that allows mixmatched pairs of memory to work in dual channel mode.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I agree,if your memory isnt dual channel your mobo will just run in single channel,you will just lose a little memory performance,its a feature of the motherboard as the fool said,just like alot of the features that will come with your new mobo that you will probably never use,theres always the possibility the sticks may not work with your new mobo,it may decide to spit its dummy,removing one stick should resolve this issue though,but thats a bridge to cross when you get to it ;)

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yeah, just to reiterate, the Best Buy guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Your memory will work just fine in any motherboard that uses DDR. You may or may not be able to run in dual channel, but it will still work...

6. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

those best buy bastards! im glad i asked you guys about it. saved me some money. thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds