Another sfc /scannow question

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Aug 4, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

This is kind of 'building' on this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=165928

I'm now running SFC on a PC with WinXP Home SP2. When SFC prompted for the CD, I popped in a regular XP Home SP2 CD (not branded from Dell or anything) and I got another error saying that it was not the correct CD. So, I grabbed an XP Home Upgrade CD (one that I basically created myself by slipstreaming SP2 into an old pre-SP1 install disc) and SFC ate it up and continued from that point without any more prompts. I checked the CD drive and it was reading from the disc, so I know it was working. How did SFC know which version of XP I had? Why did it reject the XP Home full version, but it liked the 'home made' upgrade CD? And where in the registry would I find this setting, if such a thing exists?

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds