Another Win98, XP question-mapping drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j_n_alize, Mar 17, 2004.

1. j_n_alize

j_n_alize Private E-2

In XP there's an "add network place" option. There's not one in 98se (that we saw). Are they the same thing?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Add a Network Place is not the same as mapping a drive.

Right clicking My Computer will give you an option to map a drive.

Nontheless, if you cannot ping by computername, then the only way you "may" be able to map a drive is by IP address.

3. j_n_alize

j_n_alize Private E-2

This IS the only way we're able to on the 98 machine ... by mapping by IP address. But since the IP address changes daily, that's not an option. But we didn't see an option to "Add a Network Place" on 98 so we were thinking maybe it's the same as mapping. But you have a good point about being able to map on XP as well as "add a network place." duh lol

This is very frustrating .. not being able to get our 98 machine and XP machine to see each other. I've read countless posts on other forums (just left microsofts forum) with this same problem. I've printed a lot of people's ideas and will try them soon. My husband's getting discouraged b/c we've never had this much trouble with our computers since we started learning about them. But I know somewhere a wrong step was taken b/c I know it's possible to network an XP and 98 machine. It would be crazy for Microsoft to not allow this .... unless of course they're trying to get everyone to upgrade to XP.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, if he can get me the information I need, we can likely find some sort of resolution.

I need the node information on the computers.

5. j_n_alize

j_n_alize Private E-2

I'll run the node test this weekend. Things have been kinda hectic around the house lately. So we'll catch up this weekend. Thanks, Adrynalyne, for all of your help so far. It's MUCH appreciated :D

6. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

I dont know anything about your network but you could assing static IP addresses on each computer to map the drives, just a thought.

7. King

King Private E-2

Hi

What would be really helpful in your situation would be to let us know the exact setup of your network.

a)what network hardware you have, hubs, switches, routers, etc
    b)how do you connect to the internet (this could explain why they are using dhcp)
    c)how is everything connected together

get answers to those from your hubby and i'm sure we can get it up and running.

-K

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds