Anti-Spyware Software: Necessary?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DTS, Feb 10, 2008.

1. DTS

DTS Private E-2

I have AVG Free and Comodo Firewall and I try to keep my website viewing strictly limited to trustworthy sites like major news sites, tech forums, and some some various "world-class" sites like YouTube and Wikipedia. I'm also constantly cleaning with CCleaner, doing scans with AVG, and keeping program access on a tight leash with Comodo.

I've been thinking that I might need an anti-spyware program but I really don't want one if I can get away with not having one. My question to you is; do I need one?

If it's absolutely necessary to have an anti-spyware program which one should I look into? I'd prefer one that didn't run any background processes, is made to be free, and is completely trouble-free.

Let me know what you folks think.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Do you need an antispyware program? Probably not.
    Should you be running some type of spyware protection? Probably.
    There are many resource friendly unobtrusive, quality, free antispyware programs available. Personally, I run Comodo's BOClean and Browser Hijack Retaliator have nothing but great things to say about them. I surf like you do: very rarely do I visit any questionable sites or do I download and install anything that has a remote chance of infecting my PC, but I still think it's a good idea to have the bases covered, just in case....
    Comodo BOClean http://www.majorgeeks.com/Comodo_BOClean_Anti-Malware_d5616.html
    Browser Hijack Retaliator (BHR) http://www.majorgeeks.com/Browser_Hijack_Retaliator_d4582.html
    BHR is primarily aimed at Internet Explorer. I mainly use Firefox but still run BHR as it keeps all BHO's at bay. It has also stopped the occasional adware from trying to add itself to my favorites. Even though I'm browsing with Firefox, sometimes things still aim for the IE favorites folder....

3. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds