Anti-virus conflict, AVG just installed, keeps rebooting

Discussion in 'Software' started by rabhrab, Jan 12, 2008.

1. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

My neighbour asked me to help!! Big mistake. His three month free anti-virus software, provided by TalkTalk on taking their broadband service, is coming to the end of its free time. I have downloaded and installed the AVG Free edition for him, but now his computer is unstable and as soon as the desktop screen appears and the startup programs are loading it re-boots. This is happening continuously. How can I solve this and save my friendship with my neighbour?? Hope someone can assist soon!! Thanks in anticipation.

Bob

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Try Safe Mode. Try uninstalling what you installed. Depending on the OS, you could also restore the computer to an earlier time with System Restore.

3. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Thanks for that, but how do I use system restore when it reboots before I can select it through Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System restore? The machine is running XP Home (SP2)

4. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Did you try to boot into safe mode as Adrynalyne suggested? Can you not boot into safe mode without the system rebooting?

5. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Sorry for being so thick, but how do I get to Safe Mode? Do I use a function Key? If so which one and when? Thanks again!

6. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Thanks all, I'm now going nextdoor to see if the neighbour is still speaking and will let me near his computer to do this. I'll let you know how I get on.......assuming I survive!

7. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Thanks to Steve_East9, Eezak and Adrynalyne I have managed to solve the problem and still have a neighbour that is speaking to me! Hope you three have a good weekend!

8. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Also glad you were able to fix the problem.

Did you figure out what caused it though? Was it that you hadn't uninstalled the old anti-virus program before starting the AVG install that caused the rebooting nightmare? Or did the first AVG install just go haywire for no apparent reason? I take it you were able to fix things by either completing the AVG install in safe mode (unlikely, I guess) or by removing the AVG software, the older anti-virus software and then installing AVG again? Or did you go with another anti-virus program?

Mostly just curious about what exactly caused the problem and if, once you booted into safe mode, all you had to do to fix it was uninstall AVG anti-virus.

I hope your neighbor doesn't have any ill feelings toward you. Presumably he thought you were more knowledgeable than he was. "First do no harm" is a fine and ancient principle for doctors. It's a good one to keep in mind when working on computers also, but I'd bet everyone here who's been tinkering with computer hardware and software for more than a few months has made mistakes they couldn't easily set right. I certainly have.

If your neighbor really wants to protect his system you might advise him to spend a few bucks on a backup hard drive and some good backup software and then learn to use them effectively.

It's not your fault your neighbor asked you to work on the high wire without a net, so to speak. Your only alternative would have been to refuse and that would likely have put his nose out of joint too.

At any rate, no harm done apparently and you and your neighbor learned a few more tricks the hard way just as the rest of us do now and then.

:D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  9. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Thanks for that Eezak,

I used 'System Restore' (after holding the F8 key down on rebooting) and then made sure that I did not hit the 'Run' option after downloading the AVG software.
    I said to wait until his free period of the TalkTalk, McAfee software expired and then to uninstall it, and only then Run the new AVG software. This should take place at the end of this week (TalkTalk, McAfee expiry date) if you think that it should be OK?
    His machine is, however, now running normally (until I get my hands on it again!!!) and he is still acting friendly!
    Thanks for all the help.
    Bob

10. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Yes, I would think uninstalling McAfee and then starting the install of AVG should go fine. I've been using AVG free anti-virus for a few years now and really like it.

Make a note for your neighbor (or maybe print it out) of Steve_East9's suggestions in his first post -- especially using the McAfee Removal Tool to insure all the McAfee stuff gets cleaned out before running the AVG install routine.

Alternatively, if your neighbor doesn't want to wait for the McAfee free trial to expire he (or you) should be able to uninstall it (may have to shut down the software first), then run the McAfee removal tool to insure there are no remnants of the McAfee software remaining, and then install AVG without problems as long as you don't have both anti-virus programs running at once.

Does this McAfee software include anti-virus only or is it a security suite with additional protective features/software? If the latter, your neighbor may need some other additional software to keep his system protected once he pulls the plug on McAfee. At the very least, in addition to good anti-virus software, he should have a good software firewall. There are several good free ones available for download here at MG. Many people here recommend the Comodo free firewall, but if your neighbor's not particularly computer savvy he might be better off running the ZoneAlarm free firewall.

At any rate, let your neighbor know that he should check to see what features the free trial software from McAfee includes so that he doesn't leave himself vulnerable by not replacing something he really needs. If it happens his McAfee software doesn't include a software firewall and he doesn't already have one, he should get one. Anti-virus software doesn't protect against the same sort of stuff that a firewall is designed to prevent. In addition, if he has a McAfee security suite that's about to expire, he may have stuff like phishing protection, anti-spyware measures and so on, as well as an included software firewall. Sorry to make this sound so complicated, but I just want to be sure you and your neighbor don't unwittingly expose his computer to other problems by taking down all his security measures (if the McAfee software is an entire security suite) and only replacing part of them (the anti-virus).

Whether he's only replacing anti-virus software or other security features also (such as a software firewall), it's a good idea to disconnect a computer from the internet before you shut down any of its security software so you don't leave the computer vulnerable during the interval between the removal of the old stuff and before the new replacement software is up and properly configured.

Again, we're glad it all worked out in the end. There's always more to learn about computers and software and, sad but true, much of the knowledge we gain is obtained by understanding and fixing problems we created ourselves.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds