AntiVir Guard question

Discussion in 'Software' started by codesarah, Aug 5, 2006.

1. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

Hello!

I'm using AntiVir Personal Edition and whenever it detects a trojan/virus, it pops up a warning and I have to click on Delete and OK everytime!!

I read that it's because of the INTERACTIVE option enabled under "Action on malware". So I go there and try to disable it but it won't let me. The radio button won't deselect! :rolleyes:

Is there a trick around doing this, or is it because I'm using the Personal Edition?

Or.. should I just use my pc under another user since whenever my brother uses it, nothing pops up to annoy him! haha!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  2. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

codesarah:

Windows doesn't like to remove files it sees as "running/active/in use."

What you may be seeing is AntiVir finding and wanting to remove
    malware but Windows is preventing it from doing so.

Boot into Safe Mode and scan with AntiVir again. In Safe Mode, AntiVir
    should remove the vermin after prompting you to do so.

Happy trailz,

3. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

"What you may be seeing is AntiVir finding and wanting to remove
    malware but Windows is preventing it from doing so."​

AntiVir can delete the files.
    What I'm asking is how to disable the INTERACTIVE option because
    eveytime it finds a trojan/virus, it pops up on what I want to do.

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

I think your brother has an administrative account and you have a limited user account. This may prevent you changing certains settings.

Personally I NEVER use the option to take automatic action when malware is found, Imagine there is a false positive situation where your AV software thinks it has found a virus but hasn't and deletes it... you could lose an important file. If you do set up any automatic action its probably best to let it quarentine the file and not delete it so if you need to you can recover the file later.

5. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

Nope, I have the administrative account and my brother has the limited one.

Quick question, if I am using a limited account, do I have a lesser chance of getting trojans?
    Because I set myself another account, limited one, and when I use it, AntiVir don't pop up at all! So I'm thinking it doesn't find any trojans as often as when I'm on my admin account.

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Using a limited account can help prevent malware infections but it needs to be supported by good anti type programs. you shouldn't use account with priveliges that aren't needed.

How come you get so many trojan alerts anyway?

7. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

I am not sure. I had that weird virus that sets up a new connection.. I think coolweb. THen I uninstalled my Norton AV, it's not updated anymore anyway and I refuse to renew it! Haha! Then I have that McAfee thing I'm not sure what the difference is. That one I renewed.

Anyway, I deleted both and installed Outpost Firewall somthing and AntiVir. Then the coolweb virus was gone.. woohoo! I don't know how it happened.

8. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

You should also consider installing some antimalware software. Windows Defender is good if you have xp sp2. also SPyware Blaster is a must!

Theres some good tips and software recomendations in this thread on how to protect yourself from malware

9. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

Okay, thanks!
    That's where I got the free firewall and antivirus software I am using right now. Hehehe!

10. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Hehehe! indeed lol. Consider insatalling spywareblaster, windows defender and ccleaner from there too. They are all great useful programs.

11. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

I have CCleaner. Do I need both anti spyware software? I am going with spyware blaster.

12. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

they are both different. You should go with both as they offer different types of protection. SPyware Blaster protects you from a (very big) list of known bad websites and bhos, active-x type stuff. Windows defender offers real time protection from malware installers, changes etc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds