Antivirus/Malware Scans Shut Down My PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by emjaydee04, Dec 28, 2011.

1. emjaydee04

emjaydee04 Private E-2

I will preface this by saying that I don't know if there are steps I should be taking before posting this question, but I am fairly computer savvy and need a starting point to diagnose my issue.

AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+ 2.2GHz
    2 GB Ram
    Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3

My main HD is a SATA RAID 0 SCSI (2 HDs which total 160 GB)
    And I have an additional 500 GB Western Digital HD

I also have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card and a second ATI 9000 for a dual monitor setup.

PROBLEM: My PC works normally unless I run a virus scan. When I do this it runs for a while, then I get the blue screen of death and the PC shuts down. I'd been using AVG Free for a couple years with no problems. I thought the problem was with AVG so I tried 2 other Anti Virus programs and when they scanned for viruses I got the same result. I currently have no antivirus installed.

Also: I recently ran Malwarebytes and the same thing happened. It scanned for a while then I got the BSOD and my PC shut down.

I am able to run CCleaner and Spybot Search & Destroy with no problems.

I just ran Check Disk on my C: drive and it reported no problems.

I am assuming this is a hardware issue, but can't be sure. Can you suggest what to do to get started fixing this problem so I can once again run antivirus software?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Strange one as I'd have bet on checkdisk finding something like an error block, but as you have run this, it doesnt seem this is the case.

Can you run defrag ok?

Can you boot into Safe Mode ok and run a scan with a AV? (dont know if AVGs GUI works in safe mode, it used to only run via commandline, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) works in Safe Mode)

Have you uninstalled all AV and security apps fully and then just installed one, say MSE and try.

Just a thought, what are the temps of your PC as in CPU etc just thinking as scans do use a fair bit of CPU at times, that the PC was overheating during a scan, hence the thought of defrag scan earlier.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You need to get us the info from the BSOD.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Good thinking batman!

To get us this HERE is a guide.

5. emjaydee04

emjaydee04 Private E-2

OK, I'm going to try to defrag because I think that may also cause the BSOD. If not, then I will run Malwarebytes and get BSOD info.

6. emjaydee04

emjaydee04 Private E-2

Ok, I was able to Defrag without the BSOD so I Ran Malwarebytes and got it. The blue screen flashed so fast I couldn't even read it, but after it booted back up the Windows error reporting says that this is the "error signature":

BCCode : f4 BCP1 : 00000003 BCP2 : 891C9230 BCP3 : 891C93A4
    BCP4 : 805C8D78 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Windows error reporting, the above BCCode, isn't the info you need to supply.
    You still have not posted what the BSOD says. (Follow DavidGP's link)

8. emjaydee04

emjaydee04 Private E-2

I downloaded BlueScreenView and have attached what I think is now the appropriate information regarding the BSOD.

Attached Files:

9. plodr

Stop error F4 (last two characters of the Bug Check Code) and words Critical_Object_Termination is the info.
    Now for a bit of searching.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560372(v=VS.85).aspx
    The following actions might prevent an error like this from happening again:
    1. Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
    2. Scan your computer for computer viruses.
    3. Check your hard disk for errors.

Hardly helpful since you get this error when you do step 2! I'll do some searching.

Not too helpful http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0xf4

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  10. emjaydee04

emjaydee04 Private E-2

When I check my Device Manager I see an Exclamation Point in front of "WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 (tm) Controller". I googled it, found a newer driver and downloaded, but I can't get it to install. I'm not sure if this is part of the bigger problem or not.

1. Everything else is up to date with regard to Windows Update.
    2. I cannot scan for viruses, as you know.
    3. I ran chkdsk and came up with no errors.
    I also defragmented successfully, ran Spybot S&D and CCleaner successfully.

11. plodr

From my searching some suggest testing the memory (but it seems your memory would give you a BSOD at other times too). So I didn't bother mentioning running a memory test.
    Other suggestions were heat. I'm not sure how much processing power and heat creating a virus scan would take.
    I do know that Malwarebytes recommends doing the quick scan, never the Full scan.

Have you tried scanning in safe mode? Does it work or do you still get a BSOD?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds