Any Advice On A "stand Alone" Instant Messenger?

Discussion in 'Software' started by outdoorgal, Aug 20, 2016.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

My sister and I used Yahoo Messenger for years, now she and I want to start using Instant Messaging again, but as you all know, things have changed;) We had such a blast with YM, but I cannot find anything online that is that close to having the same types of features.

We don't care for Facebooks messenger, or gmails. And I did download the newer "style" of Yahoo and yuck on that one too. Can't even make pretty fonts. We'd really like to have something with some emoticons (lots is good, lol) and something we can customize the fonts as we both have a hard time with small print. Also, if I could find us something that has the message window open separate from the Buddy List.

I anyone uses, or does know of a reasonable facsimile of YM, I would so appreciate your suggestions. Oh, we already have Skype, but don't like that one either.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

outdoorgal...

Have you heard of Trillian? There is a free version that supposedly has lots of emotiocons and I suppose fonts. Here is a writeup on it and some others:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-pc-and-mac-im-chat-client-alternatives/

and a download link here at MGs:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/trillian.html

Trillian is ad supported for the free version. Pidgin can be customized if you and your friends are willing to jump through all the hoops required to get it where you would like it to be for all your friends. The plug-ins set for Pidgin sounds like it would add alot of functionality as far as tabbed sessions and saving message sessions goes. I guess those would be nice to have.

If you would like to look at Pidgin, I recommend Googling things like "how to add emotiocons to Pidgin" or "how to add fonts to Pidgin" or "how to add features to Pidgin". You can find some interesting links there. Anyway, maybe someone knows of something out of the box that duplicates that experience that was possible with Yahoo! Messenger.

outdoorgal likes this.
  3. outdoorgal

Thank you AtlBo, we have been thinking about Pidgin. I will take a look at the plug-ins. It did looks a little "plain" but with plug'ins it could be what we are looking for.

I so appreciate your input. I know many are into the "phone" texting, but my sis and I are older (seniors) and we like simple but fun on the computers:) ty again, denise:)

4. outdoorgal

This is frustrating because I downloaded Pidgin, and it wants me to put in my Yahoo Account. Don't they have a "stand alone" messenger that I can just sign-up for their account? Like in Pidgin, I would sign up for a Pidgin account?

I know little about all this, and maybe there just isn't such a thing. I don't want to be connected to a lot of things like Facebook, Yahoo, Google. I don't even want to be connected with other IM programs. I have one, single chat buddy, my sister, lol! I know I am just not into all the "groups" social networks etc.

Anyone? Thanks in advance, denise:)

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, you remind me of the days back on Windows 98. I felt Yahoo! was kind of close with their messenger back in those days, but I think most people still just want all the emotiocon/font type features without so much fuss over security, video, and audio and what not like we see these days. It's just that simple feeling that I can leave someone a message any time thing while also being able to say what I am trying to say. There were a few chat services out there several years ago with good emotiocon support, but of course this is nothing like what you require. Even with a private chat room there isn't really any privacy guaranteed.

Hope you find what you are looking for. I think Pidgin may be a little bit of a bear to get everyone on the same page features-wise if you want to use it for 8 or 10 people or more.

outdoorgal likes this.
  6. outdoorgal

Thanks again:) I wish I could build one myself, LOL! But I don't have the knowledge it takes to make a program:) ty again, denise

AtlBo likes this.
  7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

outdoorgal likes this.
  8. outdoorgal

Ok Plodr, I may have seen this list, but I'll check. Thank you so much, I've still been searching, lol!! Denise:)

9. outdoorgal

Wow, no I hadn't seen that site/Wiki, thank you Plodr, and if I can't find something there, it probably doesn't exist;) ty again, denise

AtlBo likes this.
  10. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I used Pidgin years ago and liked it ok but don't remember much about options. It was simple and worked well with other messengers. I'm sure it has updated since I used it last.

outdoorgal likes this.
  11. outdoorgal

hi katkat, I downloaded Trillian for my sister and I. We are liking it a lot, and that's because it is very, easy to use. The account was simple to set up, and we didn't have to have a phone #, or some other account like I found with a few of the other IM's. I would recommend it to anyone. My sis and I are the only ones using it, but if we sometime wanted to add anyone from another messenger, we can.

katkat and AtlBo like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds