Any clever ideas for cleaning my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DON GAYNOR, Aug 6, 2015.

1. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

I'm not talking about viruses but normal clutter. I have so much duplicated data that I'd like to eliminate but don't know if some program may be needing it eventually.

Many, if not all, of my mp3s and pics have multiplied.

I ran a Duplicate File Finder but hesitate to delete anything for fear of botching something important.

I've recently started using a desktop organizer but need a plan or scheme to eliminate the harmless garbage first.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Paranoia is a good thing when it comes to data, back it all up and have at the cleaning. Programs will tell you if they need something and you will still have it.
    I usually clean a bit, run until I am sure I did not hurt anything then clean more.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Eldon, I'm not talking malware or viruses but the benign rubbish just taking up unnecessary disk space.

Some programs (MS Picture Viewer) sic, seem to make separate copies of pictures viewed and "something" is making copies of my photos. A Duplicate File Finder discovered as many as 12 copies of photos AND mp3s. That's just gluttonous use of drive space.

I think I'll use DOA's suggestion and back everything up before deleting so, if a program calls for it at some future time, I'll still have it available.

5. Eldon

Neither am I.
    The programs' names speak for themselves.

MajorGeeks.
    It's been downloaded 692003 times.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  6. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Thanks, Eldon. I mistakenly thought they were malware removal tools. Sorry. I will apply your advice today.

Now, after assuring everyone is on the same page and playing the same song, this idea was just suggested to me:

=====

Hi Don,

I have done that tedious job with all the duplicate BIAB (music) files that just landed on my drive and stayed there just like weeds, dust, sand, and stones on a not maintained driveway.

1. make a full backup with all that clutter -- have that backup in randomly accessible files, so you can restore a single file by just copying. I use a program from Seagate that came with the backup drive.
    2. take an external disk -- you only need it temporarily -- and create the file structure of your best dream.
    3. run your duplicate finder -- if that duplicate finder has the capability of byte by byte comparison, like AllDup, that is best.
    4. move one of the duplicates to the prepared landing spot on the external disk *)
    5. gleefully erase all the others.
    6. move everything else that you want to keep onto that external drive to the right spots in the prepared file structure.
    7. and again put a smile on your face and delete on your drive what is moved -- you still have that backup.
    8. move the content of the temporary drive to your hard disk again -- and remember if there is something missing: You have that backup.

*) There are duplicates that are not duplicates because of the byte by byte comparison. The real hard part is to decide which one you want to keep.

I wish you a happy August, file erasing month of 2015.
    Guido

PS: I hadn't mentioned BIAB files but they tend to multiply like weeds.

I was, by no stretch of imagination, challenging your solution, Eldon. And I thank you sincerely for jumping in with your knowledgeable assistance.

7. GeekMessiah

GeekMessiah Private E-2

I am not sure how many times it can be said, but CCleaner is not a malware of virus program, it is used to clean up junk files on your computer. I use it all the time and it frees up hard drive space.

8. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

There is all so advance system care that does more then ccleaner if you want to try that out as well.

I have been using them since open beta testing and really not have had any complaints about it.

9. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

I think I've already apologized for my mistaken assumption. No need to kick an idiot when he's down nor continue to flog a dead horse.

10. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Thanks, Wile E. I'll try that.

The idea of copying everything to an external drive in case some program should need a deleted file in the future is also an excellent tactic.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I consider the problem SOLVED!

11. Eldon

12. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I use Wise Disk Cleaner free in addition to CCleaner.

Be sure to read the MajorGeeks notes on the download page and watch the Tutorial Video.
    Always check the settings thoroughly before running a drive cleaner.

I'm sure the Wise Care 365 Pro has the same capabilities and more.

13. Alexandre

Alexandre Private E-2

14. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Eldon, I read in time, thanks.

I ran it already and it found a lot of issues and my system seems faster and more responsive after "fixing".

I hope that I can contribute to the synergy of Major Geeks in the future. I am a retired Electronics Technician and I would be happy to assist in that area of expertise.

Thanks again.

15. Eldon

You're welcome.
    You'll notice Wise Care 365 includes Wise Disk Cleaner which was also recommended, as well as other Wise products. You now have an all-in-one program to take care of your PC needs. And it's the Pro edition - for Free!

Here's a link to the online documentation.
    http://www.wisecleaner.com/help/wisecare365_v3/

16. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Ooops! I just noticed that entering text in my default Search Engine (Yahoo) no longer functions. The text simply remains in the Search field. Not sure it's related but Yahoo Search worked prior to installing the Wise Suite.

How do I make Google my default search engine?rolleyes:-o

17. Eldon

Which web browser are you using?

18. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

I'm running Firefox (the latest version).

19. Eldon

In Firefox, click the arrow head next to Yahoo (second search bar) and select Google. I have just selected DuckDuckGo, closed and re-opened Firefox and it shows DuckDuckGo.

20. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Got it, by Jove, I think I've got it!

Thanks again (or SA equivalent)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds