Any issues w/Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe/Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO/Zalman CNPS9500 HSF?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fleabus, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

Are the clearances ok when using this Zalman HSF with these larger (taller) memory modules on this motherboard?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

TBH as I dont have that exact hardware ( I'm going to reply anyhow rather than let the question slide ) I couldnt be 100% correct in a yes or no answer, as also most likely others wouldnt have similar either BUT having said that this is what I would do,

Download the manual for the Zalman and draw out a template for the exact size ( dimensions are on the www ) of the HSF and cut it out of card, then place it where it would go on your Mobo and see if it hangs over/interferes with the memory slots also allow

Zalman specs
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/Upload/product/9500_eng.pdf ( 22mb PDF )
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/9500_LED_754_eng.html ( size diagrams and supported mobos )

Memory size specs
    Approximately 1.75" tall x 5.41" long x 0.30" wide.
    http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWINX2048-3500LLPRO.pdf

ASUS A8N32
    I do have some reservations when looking at the specs of this mobo as the heatpipe at the back/side pipe looks like it could get in the way of the Zalman? do you already have the Zalman installed?

3. Fleabus

Hi Halo:
    Thank you for the response.
    I have ordered the motherboard and RAM.
    Asus partnered up with Corsair in the development of this board and these sticks.
    Although not exclusive to each other, they were made with the other's product in mind.
    Because of this, a fair number of users who buy this mobo will opt for these modules too.
    I'm polling this and other forums to see how the Zalman fits with the other two.
    I shouldn't have too much difficulty ... anyone going to this expense wouldn't be shy about paying for that HSF.
    I think I'm ok and know I'm fine for the Antec P180 case (Zalman's height).
    The Asus manual says I can use either memory slot pair but I would rather have all four useable.
    Thanks again for all the trouble you went to.
    If I can't get a response from anyone with all three, I'll use your suggestions.

Happy merry xmas!

4. hammer1

hammer1 Private E-2

Re: Any issues w/Zalman CNPS9500 HSF/Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO/Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe?

Are you wondering if they willfit if you order them?
    or
    You have them installed but wondering about tolerances?

5. DavidGP

Re: Any issues w/Zalman CNPS9500 HSF/Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO/Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe?

@ Fleabus .. merged your two identical threads to keep info all in one thread so hammer1's post maybe slightly out of context, but still a good question.

6. Fleabus

Re: Any issues w/Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe/Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO/Zalman CNPS9500 HS

Hi hammer1 and Halo:

Motherboard and memory are ordered.
    HSF will be ordered as I got assurances and pix:

Thanks again.
    Happy merry xmas eve!

Attached Files:

7. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Re: Any issues w/Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe/Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO/Zalman CNPS9500 HS

I wonder how that memory affects the airflow or how the airflow affects that memory... My cooler (check sig) is a very tight fit too, through the recieving air end of the fan is looking at my video card and has about 1" clearance; still temp is cept at 38*C

8. DavidGP

Superb stuff Fleabus..... glad all the parts will fit fine you will have to let us know the sort of temps you get with that monsta!

I would imagine that the cooler would be fine even tho it will be quite close to the memory modules as the fan is large enough to pull air past the memory plsu as copper and the thin fins of the HS would also allow alot of air to pass through.... may actually have a benefit to cooling the memory if you adapt the same cooling rear fans as the pics you supplied.

9. Fleabus

Hi Omegamerc:

Our systems end up being different.
    The Antec P180 sets up 2 chambers.
    The lower one is a virtual wind-tunnel with a 120 x 38mm TriCool (LOW) between my HDDs and Enermax Liberty PSU (120mm smart fan)
    The upper chamber has a TriCool 120 x 25 mm (MEDIUM) front intake.
    The blow hole has a TriCool 120x25mm (LOW) exhaust.
    The Zalman HSU helps the upper chamber act as a wind-tunnel too by forcing air though its own heatpipe, onto the Asus mainboard heatpipe fins and into the upper rear TriCool 120x25mm (LOW) exhaust.
    I won’t have any internal fans causing turbulence and interfering with the direction
    of the air-flow.
    No mainboard fan.
    My ATI X1800XT’s fan will exhaust its air/heat OUT of the case. (Intake yes but turbulence no).
    I’m not worried about the closeness of the RAM to the HSF.
    The strength of the flow should make any obstruction/heat moot.

Yours is more a direct-on cooling solution.
    My case allows another approach to make more sense.
    If I end up with 38C like you and its quiet, Ill be happy.

Other heat producers:
    2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200RPM 16MB HDDs
    2 GB kit of RAM
    Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo
    I have no plans to overclock

My only worry now is how high the case’s negative air-pressure will be.
    The higher it goes, the more dust will be sucked into every nook and cranny.

I don’t know how hot the nVidia card gets that is close to the fan but I
    would think that the speed of the air is more important in cooling than its temperature.

Happy trailz,

10. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Have you even looked at my case? The (my) case is divided into a wind tunnel on the bottom for the CPU, and the top portion for the hard drives and the PSU. All the hot air that rises and ultimatly hits the ceiling is sucked out by the psu's rear fan (no fan "under" the psu) so there is no accumulation of hot air, and since there is an equal number of fans negative and postive air is kept almost neutral, cleaned my case not too long ago and dust buildup was minimal and expected. The loudest part of my system is my hard drives spinning up, or my cdrom acessing info. 2x 120mm, 1x80mm, 2x80mm (psu). Also I used all highend hardware for my devices , including Arctic cooling 64, NV silencer 5, extreme low noise 120mm fans/80mm fans. Acoustic silencers for PSU (has one itself onboard, and on mounting itself for it). Love my setup :)

11. Fleabus

Yup. Very nice case.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds