Any keystroke crashes explorer.exe - XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fredikium, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Fredikium

Fredikium Private E-2

Has anyone ever seen a problem where any keystroke crashes explorer.exe?

A new roommate moved in, so I installed a wireless card in her PC. Haven't seen the computer working before, it was off when I got there, so I just installed it. Apparently she hasn't used it since she moved either, so not sure when this problem started. I assume it is not the wireless card since I've installed 3 of them in the last few weeks with no issues whatsoever.

The computer is an HP Pavilion, about a year old, P4 2.5GHz, 512 RAM, etc. running XP Home edition.

Symptoms in a nutshell are, literally, any keystroke crashes explorer.exe ... you know, the lovely little error window asking to send or not send the report to Microsoft. Straight from boot up, any keystroke causes this. The mouse seems to work fine. I noticed it first when I tried to enter the WEP key for the network, then realized it was happening even after a clean boot up before doing anything else.

I've never seen anything like this. Any thoughts?

2. Zyto

Zyto Private First Class

update the BIOS. Make sure you have all the motherboard drivers installed. you may even try a different keyboard (highly unlikely, but worth a shot) if you still have issues, try running a repair on windows through the setup cd.

3. Fredikium

Fredikium Private E-2

Turns out that a virus might be the cause too. While I was at work trying out the forum, she was at home deleting all her temporary internet files, and apparently that made the problem go away. Must have been some worm or something in there, but I guess now we won't know for sure.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

would be a good idea to scan that machine..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds