Any way to recover SD card files?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gay2jp, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

I have an 128 MB SD card (Lexar) that the Kodak camera and my Pocket PC say "needs to be formatted" and HP software (with a HP PSC 1350 printer, with card slots) says "error found on card." None will read it, none will allow software to open anything or even scan the card for errors. There were quite a few pictures on the card when it failed.

The card has been a bit flaky from the beginning, occasionally claiming to lose its format, but until recently, re-seating it in the camera would fix it. It is under warranty, so replacement is not the issue, only recovery of the files. But not worth a lot of spending to do so.

Any known combination of hardware and software that might allow a low-level look at the SD card? I even thought a "quick" format might restore it enough to copy the sectors off and reassemble the jpeg files.

HP claims there is no way to disable their driver software (that is stopping at the "error found.." message).

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

definatly try these first as the first one in MA's list has worked for me well, if they dont work for some reason, then dont format the card as I have an alternative program which I tested for a company I worked for when i was working in photo digital imaging and it performed really well at recovery from corrupted cards.

4. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

Lexar has offered to replace the card, and even attempt data recovery.

5. jeey

jeey Private E-2

maybe first thing u need do is to check your drive utilities. if it does work, try some data recovery software to recover the data on ur sd card. this page may give some information.http://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/sd-card.htm
    good luck;)

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

jeey, welcome to MajorGeeks. Please check the date before you post a solution. This thread is close to 6 years old! I'm pretty sure the poster has solved the problem in 6 years.

7. jeey

jeey Private E-2

plodr, yes! thanks for your suggestion. i'll check the data next time. it's such a shame!!!! but i still hope that this information would be useful to people who see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds