Anybody use Cable/DSL NO Firewall?

Discussion in 'Software' started by BTY, May 16, 2003.

1. BTY

BTY Private E-2

Does anybody who uses high-speed internet access NOT use a firewall? Has anything bad ever happened to anybody while not using a firewall? I'm getting DSL and I'm thinking about not using one.. I'm not convinced I really need one.

2. Master LL

Master LL Private E-2

If your router has NAPT activated.. you probably wont need one especially if your computer runs through a universial IP (192.x.x.x). It should protect you from outside access.

Although it doesn't gurantee it'll protect you if you have a trojan on your computer (cause it can connect from your C to the hack/cracker's C.. from inside out).

Last edited: May 16, 2003
  3. BTY

BTY Private E-2

so you are saying that I need to ask my DSL providor (Verizon) if NAPT is activated and ask them if I have a universal IP address?

4. Master LL

Master LL Private E-2

You could ask them if NAPT is enabled on your router (which I'm sure will be by default).

Basically this is what NATP do (Name Address Translator Protocol)...

You will get one IP Address from your ISP.... this is the IP which will be known to the internet (like a house address).

Your router will take and use that "IP Address" (to access anywhere on the net) and will give you an "universial ip" of (192.x.x.x) which will be used to communicate with your router. It's universial because that IP is commonly used within a closed network not outside of the actual internet.

Whenever you transfer byte (information) to the net, it'll go from your C to the router then to the target of the source of the net.

When recieving, it'll go from the source to your router.. then to your computer.

Basically, if a hacker wants to hack your computer... it has to know your computer's IP address. In this case it's 192.x.x.x. One problem with it is that it's "universial"... other routers uses that IP address thus the hacker can't use it to "find" your location. And even if it knows your real IP Address (which your router has), he can't attack you because the router wont allow such connection since you never establish contact to him/her in the first place (aka- request information from that person), thus it'll be a dead end if he attacks the router.

This may sound really really confusing and I apologize if it is (I can't really explain this well).

All I can say is that when you get your router, just ask them to see if NAPT is enabled. If so, then you will be safe since that's basically the hardware firewall. BUT, if you game or so.. it can cause a problem unless you open ports up to allow access connections.

PS- If there's anything wrong I explained.. please feel free to correct me.

5. Johner

Johner Private First Class

I have linksys cable and hardware firewall router, I also enabled win xp firewall but it very basic and simple. I didnt need to call my cable provider after I got firewall router set up.
    www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=433
    Good idea to have firewall for dsl and cable, but for 56k modem with dymnaic address usually dont need depending on your internet activities. If you use ICQ alot to chat with gamers you play with online for multiplayer games, then you would need to watch out for them. Alot of times, people who use ICQ and involved in gaming on multiplayers get hacked. You dont know who people are when they add your numbers or screen name to their buddy list. If you just play games without giving out your email, ICQ, AIM, etc and not involve with anyone online like joining clan, then your should be ok. Sometime hackers set up gaming servers, when you join in their multiplayer servers to play games, they can see your IP address as your enter. So probably safer is to join public servers instead of private unless you know who and trust. Many gamers who set up servers arent interest in collecting ip addresses but many others are in various games with multiplayer.

6. BTY

BTY Private E-2

thanks for the great information! When I get DSL, I'll ask them about NAPT... thanks again.

7. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

Don't bother the DSL/Cable company, head down to the store and buy a "broadband router" Linksys, D-Link, etc..
    The router will act as your DHCP/NAT box.... you plug your cable/DSL modem into the router and then your computer into the router.. it allows internet sharing and acts as a firewall... I recommend a router even if only using one computer....

and to answer the original question... I use a router firewall and Zone Alarm.. I was testing a web server on one computer, was having problems so I took the router out and direct connected to the cable modem.... oh for a couple hours tops.
    In that time I DID get a trojan and ended up having to reformat the box and start over.
    It was a test machine so no big deal, but it is a perfect example why I would NEVER connect to the internet with at minimum a hardware router

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Not sure of all this router business but I run ZA free on a cable broadband and have not had any problems after 3 mths. Surfing habits or luck? You choose:D

augie

+ AVG free of course

9. Go to,
    www.grc.com ;)

This site will explain everything in detail.
    Even has tests for your ports and shields(firewall)
    click here if you want to go directly to the tests.
    https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 :D

Last edited: May 16, 2003
  10. Master LL

Master LL Private E-2

Oh yea, this is ONE thing I forgot to mention.

While everyone I know DSL/Cable modem doesn't have a router (meaning you need to buy one).... mine does.

My DSL modem is a router/DHCP/NAT/NAPT and serial connect all-in-one but it only has one connect for my PC.

All I need to do is buy a hub or switch and my DSL modem will assign the IPs to all my computers.

Weird huh? I dont know why my DSL modem is that special.. because I know none of my friends' modem can do that.

11. Beast_USA

Beast_USA Private E-2

cable -hub-two routers-norton & windows firewall:)

12. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

If they can't find you from the outside,, they can't hurt you from the outside.

A router will hide your computer's IP adress from the world. Your only worries would be from a virus/trojan that you download. Use a router, and a good AV,, and you should be safe.

Layman's language for what everyone has already told you,,:)

13. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Guess that a server NAT you have in that computer... ive seen them in insight they take care of DCHP and NAT management for the whole network.

depends what deal you get with your DSL company, but they usually do router packages for more than one pc. that will give you a bit of protetction, and a software firewall is always good for finding out if you have a trojan installed (so if some program you have never seen before starts connecting to the internet you know theres somthing up).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds