Anybody using laptops?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hrlow2, Dec 31, 2011.

1. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have a Gateway MT6730 sitting around gathering dust since I bought it.
    Want it to earn its keep.
    Is laptops capable of folding on a 24/7 basis if it has enough circulation to prevent any heat problems?
    Processor Intel® Pentium® Core 2 Duo processor T2330
    1.6 GHz | 1 MB L2 cache | 533 MHz FSB
    Chipset Intel® GL960
    Display panel 15.4-inch WXGA (1280 × 800)
    Memory 2048 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2 × 1024)
    Operates at 533 MHz
    Total slots: 2 DDR2 slots | Available slots: 0 DDR2 slots
    OS is Vista Home Premium.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I have used one, but in the end I thought the temps issue was too much to carry on, although you can dial down the CPU usage in F@H and not put a strain on the laptop, but the WU will take obviously longer.

If its gathering dust and not being used, its worth a go at using it, but monitor it over a few days.

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I would think the cost of electricity would be the determining factor.

If you have high cost of electricity, the cost would outweigh the benefits from a practical stand point. Also, as David pointed out, the heat from 24/7 usage would need to be watched as laptops are not made for this type of operation.
    Even though it is collecting dust, do you want a doorstop also?;)

4. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

I asked Augie this same question and he advised me not to do this because of the heat factor.

5. darnny

darnny Private E-2

I always use it.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

With Resource usage cut back to 75%, after 10 hours, SpeedFan only shows 90F.
    That is lower than my desktops show.

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

90C looks good to me hrlow.

8. augiedoggie

For max points, install Ubuntu 11.04 and run the client from that with a %20 increase in points given the same folding parameters. You can reduce XP'S partition size and make a new 10-20GB second partition for Ubuntu installation.

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Been running nonstop until now.
    SpeedFan reports at shutdown is:
    HD0 99F
    Temp1 158F
    Core0 162F
    Core1 162F

Will refrain from folding on this machine umtil I see what opinions Augie has of this.
    Don't want to damage it.

10. augiedoggie

You won't damage it as your speedfan shows temps in F which is 71C which is quite cool for a laptop. However like was said before, the points are going to be meager.

11. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Thanks, Augie.
    As they say, Every little bit helps.

12. augiedoggie

True enough. Fold on brotha!:wine

13. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

I am thinking about getting one of those usb cooling pads with the fans. My toughbook has no fan but is built for high temps and I am not running it 24/7 since I use it for work. I have a WU that has 480 points when it's finished but it's slow going. I plan to run mine every weekend from Friday evening through Monday morning every weekend--at least--around the clock.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds