Anybody with experience using backup to recover deleted files, not whole system?

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Is backup any good for that, for going back to a previous state of one's operating system to recover a limited number of files that are missing? If so, how do you do that?

My only backup is My Documents on Google Drive. More on the mess I find myself in at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...ml#post8800806

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

conceptualclarity...

Only if the files were part of a previous backup.

The process is fairly simple. In my backup program (FBackup) I select the backup containing the files and then select "Restore" option of the backup program. Then I carefully select the option to restore select files (not the entire backup). That takes me to a menu. I uncheck all the items and then hunt down the specific files I want to restore, placing a check mark in the box for the file to be included in the restore. Then I run the restore, and the file is placed right back in its original location.

One cool thing you can do is create a back up of files you know you will be keeping for a long time. Then create another backup of the same folder but uncheck the files you have already backed up. This one you can run every night or two, ect., and it will be much shorter than it would be to back them all up. Then you can update the original backup every once in awhile to include new files you are planning to keep for a long time...

If you are looking to restore deleted files from your hard drive (files missing and are not in the Recycle Bin), you will need a program like Piriform Recuva. If you use Recuva, run the deep scan. It will take a long time, but it is more successful at finding files. I have Recuva, and it has saved me several times...

3. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

If you follow my previous answer to you regarding backup programs, I referred you to Trueimage.

You go to TOOLS>MOUNT IMAGE and a virtual hdd is installed.
    You can open it and recover any files you want (pics,etc)

4. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

You are making a BIG MISTAKE by not doing full image backup.
    You MUST get in the habit NOW.

And, in multiple places.

5. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Your link is inoperable.

I found you post because I also belong to that forum.

It's a dup of your one on this forum - why don't you just pick one thing to follow and do it?;)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  6. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

7. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

RE: Post 3- You can copy/paste whatever you want.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds