Anyone else had their Windows 8 account wiped after using the store?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mickp, Dec 15, 2013.

1. mickp

mickp Private E-2

Hi All,

Here's my Windows 8 Annoyance.

Two MASSIVE klunkers for Windows 8. One on the desktop the other on Surface.
    Windows WIPED my computers account and I can’t even use my own computer. How did this happen?
    I went to download a program to unzip a rar file and went to the store. The store wanted me to sign in with my account. It asked if I wanted to replace my existing account. I prompted no.
    So I created a new account and logged into that, just to go to the store. But I still couldn’t get the rar file, because it wanted more privileges. No harm I thought, I’ll just download it the old fashioned way from the web.
    So what happens next? I log out of my account and it’s GONE!!
    Not only that, but I can’t get to anything, I can’t even back up my files. It asks for administrative privileges, and of course I don’t have any.

As if that wasn’t bad enough.
    I bought a Surface RT for my company. My boss wanted it, so I gave it to him and bought another one.
    I couldn’t start using it because it wanted an email authentication and of course I don’t have email because that’s what the RT’s job is. So I need RT to get my email, but RT won’t let me in without email. Ironic. Thankfully I got around that little "we can't let you in unless you're in" scenario.

But it gets worse.

Once I got home it AUTOMATICALLY logged into my home WiFi.

This is a BRAND NEW SYSTEM, which KNOWS my WiFi password.

I don’t remember giving Microsoft permission to store any of my data. I don’t use ANY cloud services.

So there you have it.

Not to mention that Windows 8 is almost impossible to use if you don’t have the right instructions or have a friend handy. There’s no way I could suggest my mother get Windows 8, she’d never get her head around it and I’m living in a different state and I can’t show her the tricks and traps to make it behave.

Apart from that I actually like the RT, too bad about it losing my account in it’s desperate attempt to get me on the cloud and too bad it keeps information on the cloud I never knew was there nor wanted to be there.

Now I have to work out some sneaky way to hack into my own Windows computer.
    I could literally lose EVERYTHING.
    I was thinking of using http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/, but it seems out of date and doesn't even claim to work for Windows 8, but I read somewhere else somebody else solved their issue this way.

Any suggestions before I start using boot cd's which might leave me in an even worse position?

2. mickp

mickp Private E-2

I found out what the problem was. It shows "Other" as an alternative login. Then when logging in you don't just use the username but the pcname\username.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds