Anyone using a RAM drive to speed up downloads?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Oct 21, 2006.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Not sure if this is really a hardware or software forum question, but is anyone using a RAM (virtual) drive to speed up downloads?
    I assume downloading to RAM would be much faster than writing to a hard drive.:confused:

With 2 gigs of RAM, (and 1½ gigs free, approximately), I can spare 20-30 megs to download stuff faster, I hope.

Any thoughts on this, and any recommendations for creating a RAM (virtual drive)?

I realise that all is lost when you turn off your PC, but that is a small price to pay for much faster downloads, if you stuff up.

Hell, it might even speed up broadband, further, as well.:D Bazza

2. bigbazza

Should have searched MG first :eek: but here is what I found just now.

Just downloaded AR Soft RAM Disk 1.20

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AR_Soft_RAM_Disk_d1356.html

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I doubt anything you do will speed up downloads as your ISP determines that. I believe you're still on dialup waiting for DSL. You have a great laptop IIRC, just let it do it's work. Out of a 56KB you can expect at most 48KB, and that would be an optimum download. I have never found any of those types of programs to help me.

4. bigbazza

Don't try this with XP. :confused: :p
    It replaces some newer files with older versions and MS asks for the OS CD to load the newer versions.

Try it on XP at your own risk, but make sure you create a fresh Restore point before you start, if you must try it. I did. And have just restored it back to my latest Restore point.

Will do more research for an XP version of a Ram disk. Bazza

5. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Lets hope no-one tried it BEFORE you posted the outcome!
    :eek:

6. bigbazza

Respectfully, I don't agree. Writing to hard drives must be slower than writing to RAM.
    I get really good speeds out of my ISP on dialup (52,000bps), but still think I can improve on the overall time taken to download a file.

You may be quite correct, but I'll give it a try and report back. Bazza

===

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hey, if it works over a few days, then I'll give it a try, thanks. Oh BTW, I have a AMD 64 Venice 3000+ with 1 GB of RAM, just for comparisons sake and a 6.1 Mbps line and MG download speed of 610KBps. I can't squeeze more out of it.

LOL, the best I ever got from MS is 490KB/s and I think MG servers can supply more than than 610 but I'll never know with this ISP. Good luck!

8. bigbazza

Can't wait for the new exchange here in Cairns, using ADSL2+ (?) coming soon in November, so then RAM drives may be irrelevant for me.
    But I'll keep looking for a RAM drive creator for those of us still on dialup. Bazza

===

9. bigbazza

Continuing.

From Wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive

10. bigbazza

11. bigbazza

In my post #2, I warned that it was only mentioned as suitable for NT and 2000.
    The usual caveats apply to any new program, and you are correct, I should have tried it first in XP Pro. (or at least emphasised a disclaimer).

It probably would have worked if I had loaded my XP CD, as MS recommended, but I wasn't willing to gamble on it. Bazza

===

12. bigbazza

My opinion is still out on this. program works well.:confused:

It created a RAM drive (B:/) on my PC. (Users choice, and variable).
    Size can be adjusted on the fly (mine is 31 megs at present).

The RAM drive remains through Explorer, even when the power is off. :cool: not like in the "olde" DOS days.:D

It's just the contents that disappear when power is turned off, so watch out or your downloads will disappear.

Back to the main point of speeding up downloads. I've got to try it on bigger downloads like 4-6 megs (I'm on dialup, remember) so will be checking MG frontpage, daily, for downloads to try.
    I am certainly seeing bigger numbers on download speeds but the overall transfer rate will prove or disprove my theory.
    So far it is only marginally faster and maybe not worth the effort.
    Time will tell, and I may have to eat humble pie.
    Bazza

PS: It would prove great for other uses, though,as the documentation suggests. Baz
    ===

13. bigbazza

Gotta apologise to you, augiedoggie. :) You are correct.

The very slight benefit is not worth the hassle of remembering / forgetting, to transfer your downloads from the RAM drive before turning off your PC.:p

You could use a RAM disk for other purposes but it does not speed up downloads using dialup, to any degree. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.:p Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds