Anyone with any idea's? pc dead (im sooo in trouble)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ickleblueunicorn, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ickleblueunicorn

ickleblueunicorn Private E-2

Hiya, first post, so please bare with me. in a serious panic so shyness has gone right out the window and i decided to post.

Ok, basically.. Hubby gone away to work (works away mon - friday) I decided to install the new hard drive he'd ordered for it. Nothing hard and done it a thousand times before. pc is a dell (his mates :S) optiplex gx280.
    basically I opened the case, heard a bang upstairs and went to see what the kids were up to. (flooded the bathroom.. Again) by the time i came back down my daughter was downstairs. She says she hasnt touched it. But now when I try to boot it up all I get is the fans powering up (really loudly) no beep. and the diagnostic lights are all on green except the "b" (which is amber) but the dell website doesnt give any info on this. Any idea's at all would be great as im dreading telling my hubby ive killed his mates pc.
    I was just about to install win xp. hard drive had shown up in bios
    specs as far as I can remember

Dell optiplex gx280 intell p4
    No os (hadnt installed it)
    512 ram
    x300 radeon pci e
    250 gig sata hard drive
    lg dvd rom

Sorry if this is a bit garbled

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Do you mean that nothing comes up on the monitor? Power plug plugged in? Jumper on hard drive the same as old one? Tell us some more. ed

3. ickleblueunicorn

Hiya, I double checked the power supply and the jumper settings. all set right.
    Only thing is now.. when I plug it in to the mains it automatically boots up. Dont have to press the power button. blank screen. and it sounds like a helicopter taking off. The fans at the back feel really strong. Other than that im lost. Never had this problem before.
    Thanks for replying.

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Unplug the pc and reseat the memory and video card if you have one, i meant the power plug on the hard drive but you probally got that. While the pc is unplugged clear the cmos, if you dont know what jumpers for sure just pull the battery out of the mother board for a few minutes, After this see if it will at least post. ed

5. ickleblueunicorn

ok will go check now. thats for this. Your a star.

6. ickleblueunicorn

Hiya, did everything you said, but its still the same. as soon as I plug it in at the socket it turns on and the fans get really loud. nothing on the screen and it just stays like that. Im totally lost.

7. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Well at this point the hard drive is not even in question, it should still post without a hard drive connected, check the monitor connections. Does this pc have a video card or onboard graphics? ed

8. ickleblueunicorn

the onboard was bisabled in bios when he bought it and the radeon card was being used. Is there anyway this could be a problem with the heatsink? ive been searching since 1pm yesterday (its 6am here now) and im ready for giving up.

9. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Try this before you give up, remove the video card and see if it will run on the onboard graphics. ed

10. ickleblueunicorn

Hiya and thanks again for taking the time to keep replying.
    I took the card out and it made no difference.. no post just the fans going crazy. Think im gonna call it a night now (7am) and get an hours sleep before the kids get up. will check back later. Thanks again ed

11. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Being its a p4 cpu, theres a 4 wire square plug that plugs into the mother board, be sure its plugged in, not likely to fall out because of the lock. Im having a hard time with this, hard to believe just changing hard drive would lead to this. Is there any chance that you hit a memory stick with the hard drive? If it has more than one stick, try running it with one stick at a time, trying each one by its self. ed

12. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

The fans running at high speed, I believe, is because no BIOS is loaded. The BIOS controls fan speed on newer machines. It seems that there would be a problem related to power.

The "B" led being amber indicates an expansion card error.

Remove each expansion card individually, and restart the system to retest.
    Reinstall the expansion card(s) one at a time, and restart the system to retest.

Move each expansion card one at a time to another PCI slot, and restart the system to retest.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds