anyway to kill windows without losing data

Discussion in 'Software' started by help, Jan 8, 2004.

1. help

help Corporal

i need to delete winxp and the registry and install a fresh copy, is it possible to do that without losing my files and data(ebooks,games,apps, etc), and if i wipe the registry will i still be able to run installation files that i dled a while ago? i need to clear the registry too, its screwed a bit

2. help

help Corporal

oh ya and dont tell me to backup my stuff to cd and then reformat, i dont wanna do that :rolleyes:

3. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

There is no way to do that

When you say a fresh install you mean fresh install of XP right?

If you have your copy of XP you can reinstall it and see if that will fix the registry entries that are messing up.

I dont think you can delete windows and just install it again
    the moment you delete windows you will loose your data

You can try to get it back with other software but that will take you even longer than just reinstalling windows

If the registry is messed up. It is not necessarely windows xp fault. It might be any of the programs you have installed and definately you yourself messing with the registry.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

well, he can delete the windows directory and/or overwirte the windows directory. He will only lose what is within c:\Windows, but I see no advantage of that over spending a litle time backing stuff up, doing it right, and formatting the sucker.

Either way programs have to be reinstalled, and drivers updated.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Registry problems can generally be fixed. btw.

6. help

help Corporal

ok. yes i mean a fresh copy. damn

7. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

You didn't happen to set up a restore point?

8. help

help Corporal

i have restore points but i wanna start over, with windows . how bout this i partition it.

part a= windows partb= my data part c= empty

i kill part a including evrrytin in program files, and reinstall windos on part c

9. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

Even if you just reinstall windows, you will not be able to use your games and apps. The files will still be there, but will be unusable. your videos, pics, and music will still be working, though.

10. help

help Corporal

ok thats cool, then

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

12. help

help Corporal

should i try reinstalling windos?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds