Apache web servers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leopold99, Apr 26, 2007.

1. leopold99

leopold99 Private First Class

i am attempting to setup a webserver.
    i've downloaded and installed the latest release of apache.
    someone please help me because i really am a noob at this.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

http://howto.colemanguy.com/apache_setup.html
    Talks about the setup a bit, the file names and such are out of date, but most linux distros have apache already installed or easy to acuire. Lets start off with what distro your using, or version of windows if thats the case.

3. leopold99

windows XP home OEM sp2.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Check out http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
    Xampp for windows, its way easier to setup php mysql and apache. But if your hoping to host a public website from your home computer its really not recommended for numerous reasons.

5. leopold99

no, it won't be public. i intend to use it on forums where a certain file is requested and i happen to have it.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Then it will be public because the forum people or what not are gonna have to get your file if thats what your aiming for. Your also gonna run into your isp block port 80 more then likely, whos your isp.

7. leopold99

verizon, but i'm using openDNS.

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

verzion blocks port 80, dns isn't the issue, its that anyone trying to get into port 80 on your ip will be disallowed. Open dns just means your going to there dns servers for dns resolution.

9. leopold99

all i want to do is host some files in forum debates.

i've installed apache and i couldn't get it to work so i uninstalled it.
    i've installed xampp and couldn't get it to work so i uninstalled it.

anything else i can try?

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Is using a professionally hosted webserver an option? It would be enough to post files to, and then link to forums.

If so, check out www.250free.com

11. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I get the feeling that you really just want to setup your own web server.

If thats the case I would recommend a separate computer with a Linux OS. I think it's easier to setup a web server in linux then it is in windows.

I use Arch Linux and with a very basic installation, I simply add Apache and PHP. I do some minor configuration, load the daemons and the server is up and running. This would be without a GUI but you can add KDE or Gnome or whatever desktop you like.

A good place to start with Arch Linux is their Beginners page. It makes it all very simple.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

12. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

It doesn't work, isn't enough info for us to fix anything. Post more info about what happens and we can attempt to help, but honstantly 10 bucks for pro hosting is a easier solution.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds