Application Error after SP2 Download

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtone, Jul 24, 2005.

1. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Hello all....

Scanned my HD-no boot sector virus-reinstalled XP on a clean partition; loaded Mobo drivers-all working good; updated windows xp (51 updates)
    Of course, I restarted after each of the above. Total boot time, from dead screen to log in screen is 27 secs, pretty good.

My XP disk was damaged, apparently, because this is the fourth time I've installed it and the first flawless install!

Until SP2. I remembered to run the Prescott Hotfix and restarted. My SP 2 disk said something about a "corrupt file" so I went to Microsoft and downloaded it instead. After 111 Mb, it started to install, then I got the following error message:

Update.exe Application Error

The instruction 0x77f83905 referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be written. Click ok to terminate the program.

Microsoft recommends trying to reinstall, but if things are already goofed up.....
    I suppose I could go to Add/Remove Programs and see if SP2 is there; then I could remove it and try again.

Not expecting a reply given the hour, but you never know.....

Actually, I'm pretty happy. This thing has never worked better!

BTW-I haven't installed Office or any other progs except Adaware and AVG until I'm sure this is a good install.

Thanks again
    jtone

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Exit AVG completely, just don't disable it. Now try to install SP2.

3. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Shadow PD..

Thanks for all of the advice on this problem. I just wanted to let you know that the reinstall, except for the issue in this thread, went flawlessly. XP installed itself on my new partition without a hitch, I upgraded Windows, and after turning off AVG the SP2 download also went off flawlessly. I then ran the scans in thread 35407 and partitioned the rest of my HD, then located all of the other prog's in a dedicated directory.

This machine is running great; it boots up in 27-35 secs (yes, I've been timing the boot sequence. I might not be a geek yet but sometimes I act like one!)

Had a prob with Office XP install but I'm going to clean the disk and try again.

I have tested most of the areas of this puter and all are working (every other install, something wouldn't work right.)

Ah, well. It works great now. I appreciate all of the time that you guys (too many to list and I don't want to forget someone) have spent in helping me resolve this issue.

To think that all along, I had a bad disk. It's always the simplest thing, but you usually trust something that's brand new.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds