application error-the exception unknown software exception

Discussion in 'Software' started by tck8, Dec 23, 2013.

1. tck8

tck8 Private E-2

Hello,

win xp sp3

i'm getting this error when trying to launch hotspot shield. the installation finalizes well, but when hss launches, i get a message that says: hss has detected an internal error, and suggests to fix it. when i click on Fix It Now, i get this error: [​IMG]

i'v been using hss for a long time never had any problem. have no idea what went wrong with my system. hss just stopped working.

things i tried so far:

-uninstall-reinstall. result: problem persists.
    -contact hss. they offered another download link. result: problem persists.
    -checking similar threads here. one post asked for the following info:

Start>>Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Event Viewer
    Event ID number=1041 (Applications-Error)
    Event ID number=26 (System-warning)

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

3. tck8

tck8 Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. For some reason the forum tells me the link is invalid. tried reinstalling several times. Not working.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Clean download from here http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hotspot_shield.html
    The dsl articles says to do the following:

5. tck8

tck8 Private E-2

Thanks so much. I did. Problem persists. I read somewhere that if I run xp for some years without format, it starts to show errors like this. is it true? Also, could it be a hardware problem that's causing this software problem?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have three computers running XP. None of the three has been formatted. The oldest one is a Dimension 2400 which was dead and a friend was going to throw it away. I put in a new power supply and cleaned off his files BUT I did not format and do a clean install because I had no disks to go with the computer. It's from about 2004 so close to 10 years old and still running the original install. So based on my tiny sampling of three computers, I have to say what you read is not true.

7. tck8

tck8 Private E-2

this is reassuring thanks for sharing your experience!

8. tck8

tck8 Private E-2

i have an idea for a workaround but i don't know how to excute it. I'm thinking ;aybe changing the installation drive would help? hss installs itself n drive c without consulting the user. how can i install it on drive d?

9. tck8

tck8 Private E-2

update:

i haven't tested the idea in my last post because i still don't know how to execute it. however, due to some other issues, i formatted my pc. i have hss running well now even after upgrading to sp3. it seems to me that installing hss on a lower sp then reinstalling it after upgrading sp might've caused this problem. this is just an observation. could be a coincidence.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds