1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Application vs. Program

Discussion in 'Software' started by cynda99, Feb 27, 2008.

1. cynda99

cynda99 Private E-2

I don't know the difference between an Application and a Program. Thought the Geektionary would help, but didn't find anything there.

I have 2 Dell Windows XP computers.

If I want to copy something such as Microsoft Money from one pc and install it on the other, what exactly do I need to copy? The application or the program?

And where do I find what I need to copy? :confused

Any help in this area is so appreciated.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Well basically an Application is an executable file such as Notepad.exe whereas a program can contain more than one application along with numerous other files such as DLL files.

Since the days when Windows had a registry it is far more difficult just to copy a program as it often has numerous entries in the registry which will point to locations of files within the program - this is why prgrams these days are generally installed. Only if the program contains a small number of files or is a self contained executable (such as Notepad which is both a program and an application rolleyes) can a program be copied.

Hope that's all clear. :confusedrolleyes
  3. crazylegs

crazylegs Private E-2

As it was explained to me: An application is what you run to effect a task, ie. Word, PhotoShop, etc. A program is/are the bits and pieces that make the application work. Seemed to make sense at the time : )
  4. cynda99

cynda99 Private E-2

Ok, thanks to all of you for your replies. I sort of understand the difference now.

Guess I'll have to buy the program/app :cry
  5. cynda99

cynda99 Private E-2

Thank you. Also thanks for the link to Microsoft Money.