APPS wont start

Discussion in 'Software' started by tuxp, Sep 11, 2004.

1. tuxp

tuxp Private E-2

alright a friend sent me a pc filled with malware, spyware, trojans, worms, etc.

anywho using avast, ad aware and other tools i got it back to the way it was shipped infest free

anywho apps will not start now

apps being

avast skin issue
    windows updates
    windows media player
    crap cleaner

the updates were so behind i had to install sp1, i have a copy of sp2 but that wont install, i just installed windows media player 10 and now windows media player starts its mostly avast and ccleaner im sorta stuck on this one at this point any suggestions appreciated

hard drive 38 GB
    ram 224 mb
    duron 2000+ at 1.60 ghz
    cd drive
    video card unsure
    mobo unsure
    'sorry i cant give more on system specs

thanks in advance

and to say it again
    avast comes up with a message about the skin missing and yes ive uninstalled and reinstalled tried that bout 5 times once going through the reg to make sure of no issues
    ccleaner i double click nothing ive again tried uninstalling and reinstalling nothing tried 1.10-1.13

heres the message avast gives application cannot load skin function "usigetskin" failed

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Sometimes when rig is full of garbage, viruses, trogens and such, is better to just wipe the hdd clean and start over. (reformat and reinstall)
    When cleaning out the bad stuff, courupted files etc, are removed in the process.

If I had rig full of garbage and had important stuff on the rig I would try to clean first.
    If I had a rig full of garbage and had no important stuff I would not hesitate to just reformat and reinstall.

2 cents more, If one was to want to install sp2 I would reccomecd to format and reinstall OS first, then sp2. (why not start fresh, over time you get build up of empty folder's, leftover junk, why not eliminate any crap that may cause conflict with the new great fix.)

If you want to Know all info all specs/hardware/programs/etc download Everest (free):
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

3. tuxp

tuxp Private E-2

thanks asus i know of tools to help me know the hardware

my dad said that as well but the person has alot of personal files on there and the such and it was bought with no cds and its xp pro on there so i sorta wanted to try and keep everything on there

4. ChalkySmudge

ChalkySmudge Private E-2

To solve the Avast Skin Issue (if you still have that problem) then Click on the START MENU -> RUN -> Then type

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX

Then once a window appears and says that dllregisterserver was sucsessful, avast should work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds