Are programs like bitlord safe?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ajs, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ajs

ajs Private First Class

My son wants to download a p2p file sharing program such as bitlord or bitcomet. I have no experience of these and I am concerned about the safety / privacy issues. What are the potential dangers of these types of programs and are they legal in the UK?

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Bitlord and BitComet are Bittorent programs and while using the program to download legitimate programs, using it to download cracked games and pirated files is illegal, not to mention that your exposing yourself to the dangers of viruses/trojans/keyloggers and other malware.

3. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

I usually look at the download stats and comments b4 i download something.
    just use common sence. if something has been downloaded 10,000 times with
    no bad comments then it's prolly ok to download. and if a lot of people are seeding
    it and it's more than a few weeks old it's prolly okay.
    read the comments, look at how old it is, look at how many people are seeding it, also after a while
    you'll get to know who's uploading crap and who's not (ie look at the uploader names)
    use your brain.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds