Are these "Worthy" XP performance Tweaks?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Jan 2, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Does anyone know of this site ( http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/performance.html ), and/or know of or see any problems with any of these tweaks suggested here, please (I do understand that getting into the registry is potentially disastrous).

Thanks in advance,
    g...

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

Info seems ok as they are basically a copy and paste of whats been on the internet on tweak sites for years, some do work and some are snake oil, TBH in the real world these tweaks really do bugger all and you will not notice the difference in speed.

I tried out all of the tweaks for XP years ago and really never saw a difference, I know this is on XP but do note also that some post that various tweaks work with Vista and above but many dont as the legacy options are not active.

Best tweak is add more RAM and cut down on startup apps.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

There is another option that is offered by Microsoft: XP PowerToys. Several of the included tools are very useful, especially Tweak UI and SyncToy.

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

It really depends on the system, if its very very slow, every slight tweak can show improvement, but if its a system is running fairly well to start with, the tweaks will show less of an improvement. Best bet is to give it a shot and see what happens. Oh for sake of backwards compatibility, i never switch off the 8.3 file names. Sometimes its easy write a quick .bat file to move stuff around and leaving 8.3 filenames can make that easy to do in some cases.

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Eval of Windows XP tweaks at http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/performance.html

1. Yes - not a performance tweak but a usability tweak:
      ClearType Tuner PowerToy
    2. OK
    3. No - not necessary - might interfere with older programs that only recognize 8.3 filenames.
    4. NO - Windows manages this quite well.
    5. ??? - my advice: No - leave it alone
    6. Yes - His instuctions are for Disabling the Service which is OK, but he contradicts himself
      about managing services further down the page.
      Easier / Safer:
      • open My Computer
      • right click the C: drive
      • select Properties
      • uncheck Allow indexing service to index this disk for fast file searching
      • click Apply and Wait for it to finish processing
      • click OK
    7. Yes - mostly:
      Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Performance settings button > Visual effects tab
      (another contradiction?? - if you click Adjust for best performance,
      Smooth edges of screen fonts will be Unchecked and then ClearType Will NOT Work! )
      check Only the following:
      • Smooth edges of screen fonts
      • Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop
      I also use these:
      • Show shadows under menus
      • Show shadows under mouse pointer
      • Show translucent selection triangle
    8. Yes - more RAM can help if you have less than 1GB
    9. Yes - probably OK
    10. duh?? - there are some that you can disable with care!!
      www.BlackViper.com: Windows XP (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations
    11. ??? - Don't know - never read about that
    12. Yes - suposedly that works on a separate drive, but NOT on a separate partition.
    13. OK - but I think there is another way to do that without editing the Registry:
      maybe TweakUI 2.10 for Windows XP
    14. Yes - if you have an Ultra-DMA capable drive, then "Enable DMA if available" is OK
      Disk defragmenters:
      Auslogics Disk Defrag
      MyDefrag Defrag 4.3.1

Use this - it works!!
      PageDefrag v2.32

He never mentions this:
    NTREGOPT

Cheers :)
    — mjnc

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

WOW!!! WHAT A RESPONSE - THANK YOU ALL! ! !
    :) :wave ;) :clap :strong :hyper :cloud9 :dancer :celebrate :highfive :dood

:major

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David - thanks - unfortunately this (XP) machine is maxed-out with 2Gigs of RAM. :( Unless two matching sticks of RAM would help more, or there's a "type" of RAM that's higher performance (with heat-sinks or some such??).

Likewise, to the best of my knowledge (according to the Startup ControlPanel prog installed here) there are only three (or four?) startups on this machine, and I've situated/configured/customized the services per the BlackViper.com settings.

Oh well, maybe I just need to donate this old machine to charity or something at this point...?

Thanks again!

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

Well looks as if this XP machine is working fine, will make a great spare PC or as I know you have a few PCs in the house, why not turn this PC onto a Windows Home Server and use it as a central back PC? Just a thought as I'm seeing the benefits if WHS at present, yes an outlay for the software but you can add sata or ide Hess to the box for storage so expandable with spare hdds,

I can write a guide on this as I've just setup a WHS box last week out of old PC and hdds.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds