Are those IP ghosting programs useful?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rudyard, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Rudyard

Rudyard Private E-2

I have seen adverts for those programs (called ghost or something like that) that hide your internet connection even supposedly from your provider (dont know how that works).

They claim noone can see you on the net and not even your ISP will no what your doing.

I always thought this kind of software was for doing illegal things as I couldnt understand why you would have to hide what your doing until one was advertised as a security program in a trusted computer news email I get and mentioned that someone working for your ISP can at the click of a button check out everything you have done and relating it to interet banking made me think maybe these programs are a genuine part of PC security.

Was wondering if people on here know much about these programs and whether general people should be using one or is it just for people who dont want their dodgy surf habbits looked at?

Do you use it as part of your antivirus/antispyware/firewall protection??

2. douchrti

douchrti Private E-2

Hi,
    It is possible to hide your IP, but from everyone? I dont think so.
    There are browsers that you can buy or pay for that can let you surf hidden, but they hamper search capabilities.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Actually your never completly hidden. Theres always a way to track your connecting ip, its just a matter of having to go through numerous servers to find it ie requiring massive amounts of cooperation between all admins. Not very likely to happen but it is possible. Also even methods like tor (worth a google though) are starting to show some possible methods of tracking through, abite being very difficult to pull off.

4. Rudyard

Rudyard Private E-2

So these programs arent an essential part of your security? And obviously dont fully work as advertised (just make it harder not impossible).

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Some may argue, but for me not a part of my security.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds