Are you a water-cooled or air-cooled user?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Molarize, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Molarize

Molarize Private E-2

I have an air-cooled Freezer 13 on my i5-2500k.;) But I just wanted to know if the majority is using water cooled these day? Is it much better with water-cooled? Seems like a lot of works for maintenance.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Some like air and soem like water, I know a few that jump to water to test it out, and while temp figures are good with water as you say it takes some time to perfect and maintain.

Personally I still like Air, but again to perfect good PC cooling it also takes time and some research on products, airflow and cases. I have an i7 920 and use an Coolermaster CM690 with a Zalman 9900CNPS on the CPU and all case fans have been changed to Noctua fans (120mm ones and are very quiet).

With good fan placement and direction of airflow, after 2hrs of PC being on the idle temp of CPU is around 27-29C and this is with the case fans from Noctua only running at <600RPM, could make them run faster and thus cool the PC more but at the expense of some extra noise, so its a balance.

A few folk who use H2O will likely pop into your thread and you may see a few threads already on water in the forums.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have tried water cooling but found that the results did not show a marked improvement over my other PC that has a Cooler Master V8 on an i7 950 CPU http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5279

Combined with good intake and output fans (120mm) your PC will run well within the temp rage even under heavy game play.

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I use the cheaters water cooling - Corsair H50 in a push/pull arrangement. Sealed system so no maintenance except blow out dust from radiator occasionally.
    Folded 24/7 for months with a i7 950 overclocked to right at 4 Ghz and temps stayed in the high 60 to low 70 C range. Antec 900 case with boatload of fans.

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Well there is no maintenance really,maybe a flush after a year or two but that's it.

I have heard of complaints about maintenance before but I'm not sure what people mean,disassembly is more work if you plan an upgrade but to me its part of the fun of an upgrade.

I currently run my I7930 at 4.4ghz @ about 70C 'depending on room temp' in linpack,I don't know of any air cooler that could do that and my computer is pretty quiet.

Advantages cooler and quieter,disadvantages initial cost and more importantly it doesn't scale that well when compared to a good air cooler,you may only increase the speed of your cpu by 10-20% over the best air coolers but could pay double or triple the price of the best air cooler for the privilege.

So I would say its still not currently an economical way to cool a computer and still in the enthusiast realm,I would also guess the majority are still on air and rightly so IMO.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds