Are You Worried About Privacy When Online?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eldon, May 26, 2017.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you are, you have only 2 options:
    1. Get off the Internet.
    2. Do something about it.

Here's an excellent feature:
    https://privacytoolsio.github.io/privacytools.io/

Remember, no matter what measures you take, your privacy will not be 100% protected... o_O

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Eldon, the best question ever, as many will think political correctness and human rights trump, security! in this day and age we need overisght and TBH open talk about digital survelence, its key to stopping many terroist attacks and if you against then you are in leagues with terrorists.

I agree we can never be 100% safe from terror, in UK we were not when IRA threatening UK, and as I have always said "spot the terrorist" you cannot!

In some respects we have no safe online presence anyway, cookies and your banking and shopping habits are logged, if you use socual media facebook and twitter your thoughts are logged, so we as soon as we type like this post now we are logged...

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Do I worry? Of course. Would be very naïve not to. Do I want to get off the internet and hide? No! I try to do what I can on my end to protect myself but I know it is never enough.
    When I've had this conversation with friends and family that share way to much personal info on Facebook I hear comments like "My life is a open book. I don't care what people know about me!"
    They have shared everything but their Social Security number and give no thought to Identity Theft or a home break in because they just told the world they are on vacation. Some have said they never update Windows and have very little security protection on they computer or phone because they don't see the use. I don't understand their blasé attitude. :confused:

DavidGP likes this.
  4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

PanOptic Test.jpg

On that page there is a 'test my browser' link to panoptic. I ran the test. Seems I'm good but not good enough!
    Many should run this test to see where their basic protections stand and make an effort to better secure their web use.

DavidGP likes this.
  5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Imandy I agree, security is a user thing cannto always rely on the software makers as they will cater for the masses.

Sadly katkat many will do just as you say, leak info blase, people can be too trusting, its nice in reality but in real dirty world its not when it comes to privacy.

6. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

3. LIE
    Teach your kids about lying and when they need to lie or at least evade telling the truth. Facebook, Twitter, etc do not need to know any truths about you. You can and should use a persona. I call it lying because you are usually evading a direct question to get a login. Or you can trust the internet and post your kids pictures, actual address, email, etc.

7. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Always online. Especially if you're female and young.

8. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I try to stay off face book as much as i can.They tend to invade others life ,Just like google and yahoo.

There is no such thing as 100% secure.If any thing it's like 75% secure and 25% open depends on the setup.

Even the so called Deep web is the worst unsecured part of the internet.I have been there and not much there that interest me.

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Facebook...
    Facebook.jpg

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds