Are Zone Alarm updates necessary?

Discussion in 'Software' started by CaNoFzOo, May 31, 2004.

1. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

Should I download the latest update for Zone Alarm? Since a lot of people are having problems with it... I don't even know if I should bother with it. Why do we even need to update our firewalls? The update is also 5.5 MB or something... it really takes along time. Especially if you have dial up. Eek. :eek:

2. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

I've been searching for exactly *what* this ZA update does with no luck -I'm sure that the info. is out there but the fact that I couldn't *easilly* find it on ZA's site is discouraging. -My search did turn up multiple results of people warning to wait to upgrade 'till they get the bugs worked out -apparently a lot of people are having trouble with the upgrade that are running certain Anti-Virus programs.
    Even this search: http://www.google.ca/search?q=zone+alarm+update&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
    turned up multiple instances of upgrade problems. I'd suggest reading through some of the results and deciding for yourself if it'd be worth it 'right now'.
    Yours,

3. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

Thank you :)

4. Frodo

Frodo Private E-2

Like yourself I also use dial up and yes the download for ZoneAlarm is big (not as big as some of the MS fixes however). Having said that I have used this softwarre for the last couple of years and always upgrade when one is available. My own opinion is that yes it is worth the download. I have not had any problems with hackers but many of my friends who don't use it have. Maybe coincidence I don't know but I do feel better having something between me and the world

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Frodo, As one of those that initially had probs with ZA v5. I have switched back and forth between V5 and v4.5. Apparently there has been a later version of v5 and I have re-installed version 5, actually v5.0.590.015 just recently. No problems so far, touch wood.
    Also I am only on dialup so I sympathise. Bazza

=========

6. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

7. shooter

shooter Private First Class

Still would like to see ZA release updates/patches/definitions if a new version of the .exe can be avoided. With perhaps a cumulative "new" .exe every month or every 2nd or 3rd update. I'm on DSL and still find it annoying. My heart goes out to our dial-up bretheren. :) Keep the faith, brothers (and sisters!), keep the faith.....

8. simonk

simonk Corporal

i,ve think im the lucky one (dial up at my home)
    i do most of my downloads in work ( ADSL ) then burn to cd and take home 'n' run

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds