arranging folders in 'My Computer'

Discussion in 'Software' started by tritonobx, Mar 30, 2006.

1. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

running XPsp2...suddenly my folders display in a long single column rather than two side by side columns when opening Program files, WINDOWS, and I386. My view setting is typically in tiles with name and 'auto arrange' checked. How do I get them displayed as they were?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If they are in 'List' or 'Details', that would sound correctly. Right Click on the folder in a White Space area (nothing in that part of the folder), and see if it is set to arrange and in the toolbar if the folder icon is set for anything other then 'Icon'.

3. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

The view setting is auto arrange. Again I usually have the tile view selected for folders and they display in two side by side columns for the aforementioned local disk folders and their subfolders. I've seen this before but I can't remember how I got them restored to the side by side folder columns.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Once again, what is the folder setting in the 'View' selection (Thumbnail, Tile, Icon, List, Details)? If not Tile or Icon, then something changed, and probably was a global change. You can also check in Folder options that in the 'View tab' that 'Remember each folder settings' is checked.

5. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks, I'll keep working on it. I was in the midst of using the new iColor software just featured this week in MG when the change occured. Also when using iColor I noticed that as I configured it, the desktop icons suddenly shuffled their relative position as well. Why Windows converted two columns of folders to one long column is what I don't quite get.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Alot depends on the size of the window...if it can't fit two columns in the window, then windows will display one. You could try adjusting the size of the window, or upping your monitors resolution.

Or, more likely, as brownizs said, the view setting has changed. Right click and under VIEW (the auto-arrange setting you mentioned before is under ARRANGE ICONS BY) you can select what suits you best.

7. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

RESOLVED! ..Restarting in safe mode and back to normal Windows restored the folder columns to the desired default window display, with icon auto arrange checked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds