As new 1tb external HD not accessible

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hayjay, Feb 9, 2012.

1. hayjay

hayjay Private E-2

Hi all

Purchased a WD 1TB portable external HD in early January.

After using it without problem for two weeks, the drive is now not accessible. I have tried on three Windows 7 machines.

I can see the drive in Device Manager under 'WD SES Device' (drivers install correctly).

In Disk Management, I am prompted to Initialize disk ('You must initialize disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it'). I am then told 'The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error'.

Below is what appears in Disk Management:
    [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you tried connecting the hard drive to a different USB port? If you have a desktop, try connecting to a port in the back of the computer.

Do you need to retrieve data from the hard drive?

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. hayjay

hayjay Private E-2

I have tried on several Win7 computers all with the same issue.

Data retrieval is preferred but not necessary. Do you know of any formatting solutions that might work?

It's not a driver issue as the driver installs fine on different computers... however the hard drive is still not recognizable.

I think one possibility is that the hard drive has failed - but it's less than a month old!!

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds