Asking for firewall suggestions/info

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nikilet, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Nikilet

Nikilet Private First Class

Vista Home Premium -- Avast -- SpySweeper

I'd welcome information about firewalls because right now I'm using Windows Firewall and I just don't feel confident or safe with it.

I had the paid version of AVG 7.5 -- worked great -- updated to their 8.0 and nothing but problems.

I tried Comodo Pro (free) and that is way to complicated for my knowledge and experience.

I tried Webroot Desktop Firewall (free) and thought it looked like I was going to like it and be able to deal with it. After installing it my computer has been down for the past 6 or 7 days -- until tonight. I thought for sure it had bit the dust. I don't know what went wrong but now I'm afraid of it.

I was looking tonight at PC Tools Firewall Plus. Any opinions out there on it? It's got to be something simple that doesn't require so much interaction from me -- like Comodo. That was an awful experience and I ended up with a virus.

I'd appreciate input on the subject.

Thanks,
    Nikilet

2. Nikilet

Nikilet Private First Class

Thank you for this information. Actually, I did use the "installation mode" option in Comodo. I always got pop ups with my AVG 7.5 but they were pop ups that I understood and actually knew whether to check allow or not. I don't have anything against the interaction part, except that with Comodo there was so much technical information that was total Greek to me.

Thank you for your input on PC Tools. I have heard the the Online Armor is also a good firewall but the version for Vista at present is just a beta. It was suggested to me to stay with the Windows firewall until they come out with the firm version of Online Armor for Vista. If you have any comments on this I'd love to hear them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds