ASPI error and looking for a alternative to NERO

Discussion in 'Software' started by fwfan, May 24, 2010.

1. fwfan

fwfan Private E-2

I am currently using NERO for burning my DVD's/CD's but want to move to some other product. It started when I could not read DVD's which were working just fine few months back.

I tried to burn a few CD's and DVD's after facing the problem and some burned fine. So that is very confusiong. Anyway I did a search and found that there is new version of ASPI Checker 1.0 and also a latest version of Nero ASPI Driver v2.0.1.74 (which basically is a DLL file named wnaspi32.dll)

1) I made a backup copy of the original DLL file sitting in C:\Windows\System32 folder and then replaced it with the latest DLL mentioned above.

2) Then I ran ASPI Checker 1.0 and the results are in the text below and also in the attached image.

LOG0143: *****************************************************************
    LOG0144: Starting ASPICHK installer on Sun May 23 08:02:11 2010
    ASPICHK0438: OS = Windows NT (5.01.2600)
    UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll dated 05/22/2010 04:24:47, 164112 bytes.
    UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll version 2.0.1.74
    UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system\winaspi.dll dated 12/31/2002 12:00:00, 5600 bytes.
    UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system\winaspi.dll version 4.6.0.1021
    UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys dated 12/31/2002 12:00:00, 16877 bytes.
    UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys version 4.71.2.0
    UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system\wowpost.exe dated 12/31/2002 12:00:00, 4672 bytes.
    UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system\wowpost.exe version 4.6.0.1021
    ASPICHK0522: Inconsistent version numbers among components
    ASPICHK0592: ASPI installation has problems
    LOG0218: Closing installer log on Sun May 23 08:02:11 2010
    LOG0219: *****************************************************************​

So Q#1 is that is there a way to fix the problem? I realize that the problem regarding the CD's/DVD's could be due to bad media which could happen for whatever reasons but i do keep my CD's/DVD's in a neat casing and handle them carefully (holding always by the edges and trying mever to touch the surface)

Question #2 (for which I would really request help) is that is there a freeware which does pretty much the same job as Nero. Maybe not but no harm is asking. If not, then based on your experience can you please recommend an alternative (to NERO) shareware product which I can switch too. I read about a product called Ashampoo somewhere but that was a long time back....

BTW, I did find a freeware called ImgBurn and plan on using it only for burning images. I don't think it offers all the features which Nero (or similar products do) since it's probably only a tool (probably the best??? amongst the freeware category) to burn images to a CD/DVD.

Will appreciate your reply to both questions please.

Attached Files:

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Well, I may not be able to answer both questions, but if you're looking for an alternative to Nero, let me suggest this; http://www.majorgeeks.com/CDBurnerXP_d4242.html It is freeware and it is updated often. I've never had a problem with it and it has all the features I need. Granted, your needs may be different than mine, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

3. fwfan

fwfan Private E-2

Hi Stubby and thanks for the recommendation. Might give it a try.

However hope to get a reply to my Q#1 at least for my own knowledge/understanding.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you still have the issue?
    If you do then one possible area to look at when dealing with burning apps and non read and/or write of an optical drive is the device filters these are listed in the optical drives properties in device manager (although you dont delete them from there) is to delete the upper and lower filters using this guide here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461 this should remove the corruption.

May need to re-install your Nero again and test. This tends to happen if you have been installing any software software that has the capability to control an optical drive from burning apps to ISO mounting tools.

if that doesnt work then uninstall the optical drive from Device Manager, reboot and Windows will reinstall the driver.

I akso use CDBurnerXP as it works great, dispite its name it works on Vista and Win7 and in x64 versions of Windows too

5. fwfan

fwfan Private E-2

Hi Halo, Hi Stubby.

Just want to share my feedback and thank you both for suggestion.

I am so happy that I got rid of Nero because I try the CDBurnerXP and it is wonderful and works so good.

thank u 2 both of you.

:seeya

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds