aspire/vista keyboard malfunction

Discussion in 'Software' started by dawng, Nov 20, 2007.

1. dawng

dawng Private E-2

I am trying to find out if anyone has info about irrational keyboard response on Acer Aspire 5720 w/Vista. I bought 2 this past week. When I unpacked the 1st one and ran into the problem Acer tech support told me they had never heard of it and to ship it to them for repair. (?!! literally out of the box for 4 hours!). Thought I'd check the 2nd unit-just for giggles (is intended to be an xmas gift)--and this 'rare' malfunction is on the 2nd unit also!
    Specifically, when typing the cursor will jump back into previously typed text-at random. If you continue typing, it just continues to relocate without any type of pattern or reason. I've been searching multiple sites and past threads in MG--but no luck. Anyone heard of this? any suggestion to fix it?
    thanks!

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. dawng

dawng Private E-2

unfortunately that didn't fix it. My problem is anywhere I type not just word--this includes email and even trying to type right now. It isn't over typing such as when you use the insert key--it is as if you are typing along and someone would hit either a directional arrow key --the cursor just jumps to another spot and continues typing. It essentially makes the unit worthless.
    AND just for what it is worth--I exchanged the 1st 'bad' unit yesterday--so I am currently trying to use the THIRD one--and it is doing the same thing!!! How can I possibly be the only person to have this problem with 3 different notebooks?! lol--and no, it isn't the typist :)

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

5. dawng

dawng Private E-2

the download says it is for XP--will it matter if what I have is Vista? (and just fyi my partner was watching me work with this and suggested I disable the touchpad--and it seems to work that way also...even further suggesting to me that something's up with the touch pad.....)
    thanks for the input. :)

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Yes, it makes a difference. The driver download will specify if it is for XP or Vista.

For example from the link I gave you.

Notebook > Aspire 5720 > Synaptics Touchpad Driver ver9.1.16.0 is for Windows Vista.

Hope that helps. :)

Steve

7. dawng

dawng Private E-2

perhaps a minor detail, but when I looked at the link I had to sort out if this is 5720 or 5720Z. It is a 'Z'. so, once again in my ignorance, I do not know if that makes a difference. I guess my hesitation to do a download is simply I don't know enough about how it all works to know what little details will make a difference--and don't want to create any more problems than I already have.
    thanks!

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I understand the hesitation, but it sounds like you know exactly which model you have. Here is another link that might help you later on, http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/fo....com&siteid=7117&areaid=2&formid=3390#results Just enter the model # like before and it gives you several solutions to common problems.

Just so you will know in case you decide to try the driver downloads. I usually download the .exe file (driver) to my Desktop, easy to locate there, then just click on the file and run it.

Just out of habit I always close any open programs when installing a driver update. I don't know if you have too, just something I do and have never had a problem.

Steve

9. ladichap

ladichap Private E-2

I bought new Acer Aspire 5520 notebook with W.Vista and I have a keyboard problem.

Anyway, when I type (even now it is happening) my cursor automaticaly flips to where the cursor was originally, for example - one row above or returns left in the middle of the word and it starts typing there....example:

I want to type ''I have a keyboard problem'' and instead it types:

''I have oard problema keyb''

I have reinstalled the keyboard drivers from http://www.acerpanam.com/flex/acerdrivers/bin/drivers.html
    and from
    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...k/as_5315.html

This is the second laptop I bought with EXACTLY the same problem.

Any ideas???

Grateful for any help. Thanks.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

11. ladichap

ladichap Private E-2

thanks, just tried it, and unfortunately a clean reboot did not help. any other ideas, please?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds