Asrock A780GEX 128M

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by postwhistle, Feb 25, 2012.

1. postwhistle

postwhistle Private E-2

Hi again. My son just gave me the above mentioned mobo, brand new in the box. The date of manufacture was September 2010, and it has the very latest Bios. Since I had a 4 core AMD cpu and a bunch of memory and other parts laying around I built up a system using the new Intel 500 series SSD's. Fired right up with 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. Worked real good until I installed Lord of the Rings Online. After I tweaked enough the game finally loaded but started locking up. I traced it to a compatibility issue with Radeon Catalyst drivers not liking Lotro. I want to go to a familiar Nvidia video board but don't know if it would work with the AMD chipset on the mobo. Unfortunately I don't have an extra Nvidia video board around so I'd have to purchase a non returnable board to test. Anybody know if this will work or should I trash the mobo and get an Intel based board?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Since you already have a lot of $$$ invested in the current system, I'd spend the money on an NVIDIA card.

Go to www.newegg.com and read the user reviews on the higher rated models. Many users will post details on the system they installed the card on, helping you figure out what will (and won't) work.

Many sellers (especially Amazon) give you a 15-30 day return policy if a video card is DOA or doesn't play nice with your PC. At worst, you'll be out the return shipping charge.

Hope this helps. :)

3. postwhistle

postwhistle Private E-2

Maybe easier said than done. I tried an Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 that was in my parts box. I've always been an Nvidia man but this combo did not work. A few hours playing around and a phone call to Nvidia confirmed that AMD chipsets and Nvidia cards and drivers do not always get along.
    Since the mobo was a freebie and my son lives in another city, I yanked the whole thing and started fresh. The mobo and Radeon card brought fifty bucks trade at the local computer shop.
    Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds