asus A7B8X DELUX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xpocad, Feb 20, 2005.

1. xpocad

xpocad Private E-2

I HAVE A asus A7B8X DELUX mobo and it has dual ethernet. both seem to work with the incoming cable but can i connect a computer to it and still be able to use my cable internet on both computers? ive tried but im having trouble . pls help

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You'll need a crossover cable (A to B) to connect the two computers , and you'll need to set up ICS in Windows as well :)

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Unless your NIC has "hardware crossover" then no, you cannot use a "straight" ethernet cable.

Crossover means that two of the wires are crossed. When you're going to a hub, the pins of the cable connect up as so:

Tx -------- Tx
    Rx -------- Rx

Where Tx is transmit and Rx is recive. When the hub recives a signal on the Tx pin, it transmits it to all of the other ports on the hub on the Rx pin.

However, if you only have 1 cable going between the two, when you transmit on the Tx pin, it will be going to the Tx pin on the other computer, and thus do nothing (both will be transmitting on the same pin, and reciving nothing. You must make the Tx pin on one computer conenct to the Rx pin on the other. This is what's known as a crossover.
    Tx -------- Rx
    Rx -------- Tx

You can buy these cables for about £5 ($10) or less, depending on the length. Ask for a crossover cable at your local computer shop, they'll know what you mean. ICS is Internet Connection Sharing, part of Microsoft Windows. Basically it allows you to use one internet connection over a network, using your machine as the "modem". It can be configured using the Network Setup Wizard.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well, I've not bought a network cable for about 5 years because I make my own! :p costs me about 30p per cable ;)

£4.10 is about the cheapest price I've seen.

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

LOL. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds