ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe shutdown problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan the Man, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Dan the Man

Dan the Man Private E-2

Hello folks,

I just built a computer with components listed below. Problem is I have to underclock my AMD Athalon XP 3200 to get it to run stably. If I run it at the standard 200 mhz speed the computer shuts down under any sort of CPU load. Temps are fine (CPU temp 43 C), I've tried all mem configurations, and single vs. two sticks. I don't know what else to try or what the problem is. It seems like it might be a problem with C.O.P. (CPU overheating Protection) or just a bum Mobo but I wanted to check here to see if there are any ideas.

Thanks

Dan

AMD Athalon XP 3200+ Barton
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo
    Antec TruePower 430 (26 amps on 12V)
    Kingston RAM DDRAM 1GB kit DDR400 PC3200 (512 x 2)
    Windows XP Pro
    ATI AIW 9000 (64)

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

what do you have COP set to?

just to verify, when you move the FSB to 200, you leave the multiplier on automatic/default right? disable spread spectrum and leave the voltages on default. also, try setting the RAM to optimal settings..

let us know

3. Dan the Man

Dan the Man Private E-2

As far as I know you can't set the COP...it's a hardware support last ditch effort to shut down the computer before the CPU fries.

That's correct, FSB at 200, multiplier auto, My FSB spread spectrum was set at 0.50% but I just disabled it and it didn't fix the problem.

error message is as follows:

Stop *** 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x50FF5224, 0XEEC2768C, 0X00000000)

if that helps at all ;-)

Thanks for your interest

Dan

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

haha my mistake about COP, i wasnt thinking and confused it with the user selectable warning and shutdown temps... and I even have an A7N8X Deluxe :p

6. Dan the Man

Dan the Man Private E-2

All right, ran memt86 and got 14 errors the first time through and 22 errors the second time through. Should I have expected 0? perhaps this is my problem? Should I send both sticks back and ask for replacements or is there a way to tell if one is good? I'd like to have a computer while I'm waiting on the replacements. Anyway, can you tell me how many errors is reasonable with memt86? Perhaps this is normal?

Dan

7. Dan the Man

Dan the Man Private E-2

BTW my memory is Kingston....thought they were pretty good.

D

8. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Kingston are good, and they should stand behind their products.

try running Memtest with only 1 stick in and see if you can narrow it down to 1 bad one... or find if they are both bad.

I dont get any errors, so i'm pretty sure any number are bad.

so give them a run to see if they both need replacing, and if you're still within your grace peroid, request an RMA from whoever you bought them from... if not, you'll have to call Kingston and ship them back.

9. Dan the Man

Dan the Man Private E-2

Hey thanks IYTC,
    I decided to pull a stick and rerun memtest and one of my sticks gives no errors. Then booted up and ran some CPU intensive programs (3DMark03 etc.) and it runs flawlessly at 2 ghz now so problem solved....bad stick of RAM. Bummer but pretty satisfying nonetheless to solve this irritating problem. I should be able to get a refund and another stick no problem and I can "put up with" a 1/2 gig for now ;-)

Thanks for your help on this.

Dan

10. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

no problem, glad it was something relatively easy ( a lot nicer than a bum CPU ;)) 512MB will run just fine and you shouldnt have any trouble exchanging that RAM.

enjoy your new system

11. ssulaco

ssulaco Private E-2

Im building a computer and a friend suggested using the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe board with AMD Sempron 2200+ Thoroughbred 333MHz FSB 256KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor,I can find the processor at newegg,but for some reason newegg deactivated this board,compuplus doesnt have or tigerdirect,any suggestions where to find this board?.....thx

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds