Asus G2S Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodZwell, Jan 30, 2010.

1. GoodZwell

GoodZwell Private First Class

I probably all ready know the answer to this question but, .

Ok my 15 year old son was using my laptop and has been told, I don't know how many times to NOT have ANY liquids near my laptop when he had it in his room. I think you know the rest of the story. Any how. He did and I freaked when he didn't tell me until the next day after it stopped working. Now I'm trying to figure out if he actually fried the motherboard or what got fried because it will not do anything. Apperantly he dumped some water down the lefthand side into the speaker area of the laptop. I'm trying to take apart the laptop to see where the water went and possible locate the trouble and fix it. I however can't get the laptop apart any further then all the screws out of the back, the display is off and disconnected but that's as far as I can get. I need to be able to get the cowling off of it front and back but I can't see the screws that need to be removed. Are the screws under the keyboard some where? If so can I pop off the keys just like a regular keyboard? OMG I'm stressed, as this was my only means of seeing my family when I go away for work three thousand miles away.

Please help.

GoodZwell, not so good any more.:cry

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

"Usually." once the outer cowling has been removed from around the keyboard you will expose the keyboard screws,remove these and lift up the keyboard,there should be some hidden screws under the keyboard,once removed the whole back should come off.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

To get the keyboard off, there are 3 latches on the top left, top right and top middle of the keyboard get a flathead screw driver and push them.
    I don't know what your eeepc looks like but I can see the three bits of silver at the top of my keyboard (eeepc).
    I've also only removed one laptop keyboard on a micron. After I unlatched the three clips, the keyboard folded back and upside down on the desktop.

So far the only thing I've been able to find is a CD tobuy supposedly with the diassembly instructions.
    You might have luck if you headed here: http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=3&model=G2S&SLanguage=en-us
    and asked other owners. Perhaps someone has taken the laptop apart and either tell you how to do it or point you to a place to grab free instructions.

4. GoodZwell

Thanks guys I'll have a look at that link. I don't see any clips I've probably remove WAY to much and still can't get it apart. some please wish me luck. I'll probably never get it all back together.

5. GoodZwell

Oh and I couldn't get any part other then the screen off. the keyboard or the plastic around it. God this sucks...

6. Rikky

With the laptop upside down so the bottom is facing you remove all the screws your see,take all the access hatches off such as memory,hard drive and pull them all out as there are often screws under them,sometimes screws are located under labels or stickers on purpose to make them harder to open without voiding your warranty,if you have digital camera take a photo of the bottom and I'll point out where the screws 'may' be.

Remove any screws on the bottom that are directly under the keyboard cowling,if there are no screws you may be able to just wrench it off,get a flat head screwdriver,stick it in the join and try to pry it off,there should be a horizontal line or join a few inches longs at the top/either side of the keyboard,this is the join you need to stick the screwdriver in.

The cowling I'm referring to is only the top piece of plastic that covers the top buttons such as the on/off button not the whole piece of plastic around the keyboard,under this you should find the keyboard screws.

7. GoodZwell

Thanks Rikky,
    Here's the picture of the under side and the top of my G2S. To me is doesn't look like there is a place to peel off the plastic around the keyboard without distroying it.

Attached Files:

8. Rikky

Try this Goodzwell;

Credit goes to

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=2999423&postcount=476

I can't find a service manual for your laptop but this owners lounge may come in handy.

If this works there should be some screws under the keyboard to remove the back.

9. GoodZwell

Ok guys thanks so much for all your help. I special thanks to plodr for posting that link as it ultimately was responsible for me getting to the information I needed most. Here is the exact link I used to get my help. This guy was very helpful.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100130165936031&SLanguage=en-us&board_id=3&model=G2S&page=1

So on to my next task. Determining what happend to my mobo. I can see some damage done to a plug just above the chip set witch I believe operates the clock on the dash board. I don't think it would stop the laptop from booting up. On futher inspection I can see some what looks to be water stains on the chiposet itself. I'm not sure but I think the water fried the chipset which means I need a new board. Have a look for yourselves.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  10. Rikky

How does it come apart then for future reference?

11. GoodZwell

Rikky,
    You were correct with your instructions, I however have issues inturpeting instruction as I'm ADHD. :-o Any how yes there are tabs on the top of the keypad just over the ESC, F8, and Delete keys. A little tricky getting the keyboard to lift but can be done carfully and the use of a couple of tools to help lift other wise you'd have to be an octapus to hold them all.

Thanks again everyone now I have to find a new mother board. I just put it all back together and still no power at all. P/n 08G27AS0021W is the board I'm looking for and looks like I can buy it at Ebay for about 200.00usd +shipping. But I'll keep looking for a better deal. I wonder if I can put in a better board? I have know Idea on how to even check that out. Any Ideas would be apperciated.

Goodz Thanks guys.;)

12. GoodZwell

Sorry Rikky,
    Didn't see your post till after I thanked plodr. I guess I didn't refresh the page untill I posted it.

Special Thanks to Rikky for going the exta mile. Your the man dude. :celebrate

13. GoodZwell

Hey guys,

Need some help identifying a cable on my laptop that I think connects the monitor to the MoBo. Asus sent me a cord but it's not the one I needed. This cable connects to the inverter board and the MoBo I think. I'd have to take it apart again to see if that was the case. I've talk to Asus about it but they are not much help. Can anyone help me out with this identification, or have any sudjestions on how I can find out what the cable's actual name is?

Thanks guys/gals.

GoodZ

14. Unrestrained

Unrestrained Private E-2

I've spilt two glasses of applejuice, one long island ice tea and one white russian o my G2Sg on four occations. The first time I got really depressed after I got the blue screen, ad no response when trying to turn it on. So I gave it up a few months, but re-assesed the situtation, and showered the keyboard quickly to clean it up of all the sugar and shit and left it to dry i front of the heater a week or so... Taaada!! It worked.
    I've done the same 3 times since, computer still works like a charm. I take the battery out, give it a good shower, whilst holding it on it's side and dry it up good.
    So in response to your problem. - Take the battery out. Let it dry up. Before you take it apart.

15. Unrestrained

Unrestrained Private E-2

Well, next time anyway.. :p

16. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Unrestrained, before you post to a thread, please note the date. This is almost a year old and the OP has moved on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds