Asus M2N-X Plus + New processor question.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mark87, Apr 28, 2009.

1. mark87

mark87 Private E-2

So, I have currently got a M2N-X Plus mobo, and a AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ processor, and would like to upgrade to a Quad core.

The only problem is though, that I know next to nothing about motherboards and the cpu sockets, and was wondering if anyone was able to suggest a decent quad core, if this board will actually take one in the first place.

Thanks, Mark.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

It should take any AMD quad core.

What kind of budget do you have?

3. mark87

mark87 Private E-2

Probably around the £150-£180 mark, but could go higher for something that would give a significant boost of speed.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You are aware that most games at the moment will not take advantage of the two extra cores, aren't you?

If you still want to go ahead, then try this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155714

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would never make that assumption and that is generally why most, if not all, motherboard makers go to great lengths to determine compatible CPUs and make that information available. I recommend you verify any CPU under consideration with the ASUS CPU Compatibility List - find your motherboard through the drop down menus.
    That's a decent amount but before you buy a new CPU, understand that unless you have a decent supply of RAM and a good graphics solution, you probably will NOT see any significant performance boost with a new CPU. If you don't have at least 2Gb of RAM, start your upgrading there.

Also understand that most newer, more advanced hardware consumes lots of power. Use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 30%, and if you participate in distributive computing projects (e.g. BOINC or Folding@Home), I recommend setting TDP to 100%. Research your video card and pay particular attention to the power supply requirements for your card listed on your video card maker's website. If not listed, check a comparable card (same graphics engine and RAM) from a different maker. The key specifications, in order of importance are:
    1. Current (amperage or amps) on the +12V rail,
    2. Efficiency,
    3. Total wattage.
    Then look for power supply brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Ensure the supplied amperage on the +12V rails of your chosen PSU meets the requirements of your video card. Don't try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply. Digital electronics, including CPUs, RAM, and today's advanced graphics cards, need clean, stable power. A good, well chosen supply will provide years of service and upgrade wiggle room. I strongly recommend you pick a supply with an efficiency rating equal to, or greater than 80%. Look for the 80 Plus - EnergyStar Compliant label. And don't forget to budget for a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).

6. mark87

mark87 Private E-2

Thanks for the info both, was very helpful.

I picked that processor up on the way home from work this morning, installed fine and seems to be running nice and cool while under load for 3 hours this morning. Seems to have given a pretty good performance increase, Saints row 2 and GTA4 are actually playable now, and Crysis used to sit on 100% CPU usage on the dual core, causing stuttering all the time. Now it runs smooth averaging 48 FPS on the benchmarks.

I know the problems that can be caused by a bad PSU. The place I bought this system from last year were supplying unbranded PSUs with the systems, and I had 3 of them blow out on me within 2 weeks, even though each time they had guaranteed they had replaced the last one with a better quality supply.

Ended up buying myself a Corsair TX650 and its been perfect ever since, and powers my EVGA GTX280 SSC fine.

7. Digerati

That's great. I hope the "seems" continues after the honeymoon. ;) I still think you should look at more RAM. Thanks for the followup.

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hi,
    I did verify my statement before posting. I read up on the compatible processors on the ASUS Website, and it specified that it was compatible with all AMD AM2+ CPUs.:)

9. Digerati

Huh? Now you are singing a different tune! You first said it should take "any AMD quad core". Now you change your story and say "AM2+ CPUs". :(

And yet if you look at the compatibility list in the link I provided, none of the AMD Quads listed here, including the two AM2+ CPUs, are on the compatibility list.

The AM2+ 9950 from this page is not listed, and there are several quads on this page not on the compatibility list.

So where did you verify your statement? Please provide a link.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds