Asus MB - Soundblaster card addon key

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by opal219, May 20, 2010.

1. opal219

opal219 Private First Class

My husband has his newly built computer up and running.

He got an Asus motherboard that had in the package with it a soundblaster card as an add on. Because this card came "with" the MB - it's got a strange non-soundblaster serial number on it.

He's trying to activate this card - unsuccessfully. The number on the card is coming up as "not recognized".

So.. he goes to the soundblaster site - customer support live chat requires a valid model number for the part in question. The part doesn't have a valid SB number so he can't get support there.. cannot get into live chat because the part number doesn't exist on the drop down menu. He did try with a different number and got booted after explaining that he had to enter a number of a part he doesn't have because they didn't list the one he does have.

So.. he goes to asus. They no longer sell or support that particular MB and card (purchased right before Xmas) and have no helpful information.

Anyone have any ideas on where to go next for support on a product that's no longer produced?

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Is there currently a problem with the device at all? If not I would email creative customer support.

3. opal219

I guess not being able to activate the card would qualify as a problem.. no sound from the new computer. He attempted the email route after live chat and said he got the same drop down menu of parts to choose among to explain the problem. I think I'll wait until he crashes tonight and see what I can do with the support staff in live chat... and recheck the email options too. Thanks :)

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Have you installed all the drivers for the new PC?

5. opal219

yep... all drivers sought out and installed. It's that pesky product registration authorization number that does not work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds