ASUS mobo, CPU Fan running too fast

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nighthand, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Nighthand

Nighthand Private E-2

I've recently attempted to build myself a desktop from spare parts and so forth, and so far all works fine, except the CPU fan runs at a constant 6500-6800 RPM from the time it's turned on to the time it's shut off. It wouldn't be bad, except for the relativly cool processor (less than 2 ghz Pentium 4) it makes a LOT of noise and is overkill. I've been searching for some kind of controller for it, but no luck. Any help?

Antec Sonata case w/ power supply
    ASUS P4P800S-X motherboard
    1.6 GHz pentium 4 processor
    Startech fan (478XP) (Link)
    WinXP home

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Look in Bios, in the Hardware Monitor Menu.
    Should be able to control speed in there.
    Should be details in your MOBO Manual.

I have couple Asus mobo's, different models, both of which I can control speed thru Bios.

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I just seen your link for cpu fan, how is it connected?
    Are you using cpu fan header on ya mobo?
    If not, then the bios controls wont work.
    This fan doesnt have any speed control?
    Then there is possibility of just reducing the voltage, or buying fan controler.

4. Nighthand

Nighthand Private E-2

All I get in the hardware monitor screen is the ability to display the RPMs or not... I've looked up and down through the BIOS to find a controller for it, but have had no luck.

EDIT: I am using the plug on the mobo for the fan, but I've seen no way to control it.

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I was just looking at manual for your mobo = no way in bios to control fan speed that I could see, only to monitor.
    You can get a fan controller.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds