ASUS Mobo P7H55-M LX confusion persists

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dandla, Jul 10, 2011.

1. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha,
    Many thx to ibmest and baklogic for their prior postings which have been extremely helpful, however...
    I'm still having trouble with a ASUS Mobo P7H55-M LX, BIOS V. 0402, Build 10/29/10, I now have two issues;
    1st the mobo still fails to recognize 4 of 6 devices hooked up to 6 SATA connectors.
    2nd, one of the devices not recognized is a HD containing the boot program and I don't know if it will be a Master or Slave and don't know how to change so that it becomes the Master for booting.
    Background...In one of my original posts in hardware thread titled “No onboard display with new ASUS P7H55-M LX mobo”, I mentioned that my SATA drives did not display in the BIOS main menu. This mobo has 6 SATA connectors, I have need of 7 SATA connections. Four of the 6 SATA devices are converted IDE, using a ide2sata converter from star tech. These are the devices that are not detected. Two are HDD's and two are CD/ROM&Writer. I also have a 7th SATA device connected via a PCI card.

Issue 1...The above mentioned post replied with “go back into the BIOS and make sure they were all set to “auto”, further check all cable connections”. I did that and also numbered the SATA devices and put their respective cable in the numbered SATA slot I had selected. I rebooted and checked and no change.
    The mobo provides a configuration setting for each of the 6 SATA devices but the user guide fails to mention what each setting does. The options are disabled, compatible, enhanced. However, a note explains that the configuration provides for “SATA as IDE”. The note also explains that AHCI is not supported by WinXP. The mobo has no idea what OS I'm using as it has never been booted into an OS.
    Is this the setting I need to change to or will it make any operational difference???

Issue 2...one of the unrecognized HDD's has WinXP/SP3 loaded, and I need to place that in the boot sequence but don't know if it's a Master or Slave and don't know how to change it so that it becomes the Master.

Sorry for the length of this post.
    Again many thanks to ibmest & baklogic
    Mahalo-n-aloha,
    Konadon

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have to go, as I have a lot to do, but quickly- the last part -If the drive is IDE with XP on it (with convertor to sata) then at the rear you will see a set of small pins, and what is called a jumper bridging two of them -often on top of the hard drive there is a setting explanation as to how to set as master- it needs to be set to master .
    Hopefully someone else can help, as I have to go now-good luck

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If the operating system was installed in another computer, and not in this, you may get the blue screen....
    I suggest that you disconnect all other cables, and try booting off the hard drive with the operating system on.
    Then, if it loads o.k, shut down, and attch the cd rom, restart and see if it finds it in windows, then.
    Then do the same with all the other devices- one at a time, restarting, and waiting for windows to find them, and install them.

4. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha baklogic,
    Great recommendations...I'll get to it in a couple days...more later
    Again thank you very much for all your help.
    mahalo-n-Aloha,
    konadon

5. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha all,
    Followed baklogic instruction to disconnect all drives except hdd that contains os, and attempt boot. I get a msg that says..."reboot and select proper boot device or insert media in selected boot device and press a key."
    Current BIOS boot device order is removable storage, cd-rom, hdd. Do I need to return to BIOS and give more instructions???

6. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha all...my confusion continues...for all those who are viewing this thread for the 1st time today, here's a recap;
    A new ASUS Mobo P7H55-M LX does not recognize an older HITACHI DESKSTAR 180GXP HDD. background...Building a new system with the above mobo. Trying to temporarily use the model Hitachi HDD, #IC35L030AVV207, as it has my OS (WINXP/SP3) loaded on it.* This HDD came from my original Dell 4600 Tower.* The date of the HDD is May 2003. The HDD has a IDE interface. This mobo does not support IDE, so I have used a IDE2SAT25 converter from StarTech, to connect to the SATA interface.* This HDD is the only drive connected to the mobo. The SATA connections have a 3GB/s data transfer rate, they are also backward compatible with the 1.5GP/s data transfer specification. I do not know what this HDD data transfer rate is, or if it comes close to meeting the 1.5GB/s transfer specification.
    Things I've tried...In the mobo BIOS, I have ensured that all SATA connections have been set to "auto" for immediate recognition. I have removed and replaced the adapter on the HDD, making sure I had good connectivity, it does. I have checked to ensure that the HDD is spinning up when PC is booted, it is. I have made sure the data cable is working by using it on another drive in this mobo, it is. I have changed the HDD jumper cables to the A/B G/H position, making it the Primary Master, no change.
    The BIOS has failed repeatedly to identify the HDD, which has been rebooted every time I made a single change to either the BIOS or the HDD jumpers or cables or power.* I don't know what else to do.
    I'm eagerly awaiting to hear from someone with some fresh idea's.
    An all expense paid, 2-tank Scuba dive trip, here in Kona, HI, is waiting for the techie with the right answer.
    Mahalo-n-Aloha,
    Konadon

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry- time difference probably means you are sleeping while I am just getting up......
    I f you have the old hard drive fitted internally, Return to Bios. and change boot order to hdd, cd, and try again.
    If in a caddy the boot order is correct
    If it blue screens, it probably means that the XP has found different hard ware, and will not let you boot.
    I think you will find that the hard drive is 4200b/s speed
    But I don't think that will stop it reading.
    http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/ibm-180gxp/
    If it gets recognised, but blue screens, It can be posible to to the old hard drive back in the old pc, and start up, then uninstall the chipset, network card, and any other periphials that are registered on it-
    then shut it down without a restart, and then try it in the new machine.:)

8. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha baklogic,
    Thx for the reply.
    The IDE drive is installed internally. But if I can boot from a caddy, I'll get one ASAP.
    My goal is to get this system booted up and running well enuf with WIN-XP/SP3, to transfer the OS to a newer SATA drive, transfer the data from #2 IDE drive to another new SATA drive then remove the IDE drives from the system, and change the OS to WIN7.
    Sounds easy enuf...maybe I'm going at it the hardway.
    Do you have any suggestions on doing it differently.
    konadon

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Hi , again konadon,
    Yes, you are going the hard way.
    Windows 7 will not update from XP, it will only clean install. :cry
    This little tutorial from Microsft save me a lot of writing.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7
    :banghead
    Incidently, Majorgeeks are all free helpers - no 'bribes' necessary- There are some real experts on here, (not like me, I usually draw on actual experience).:-o
    As you have data on these drives, they could still be useful as back up drives, either inside the computer, if you have enough slots,or, in external caddies.
    I would suggest that you install Windows 7 on a sata hard drive, and then add programs as required, as the programs already installed on XP will no longer be available, once you install Windows 7 (If you had Vista , you can upgrade within Vista, and find previously installed programs will work o.k)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

So, yes, you are making more work than you need, by trying with XP, if you intend to upgrade to Windows 7.
    Also, Windows 7 will pick up drivers to start you off, whereas XP has nowhere near as many, until you install any specific driver that you need.
    As long as it boots to the Bios, you can then attach the dvd drive and set boot to cd/dvd, and install Windows 7 .
    Most other bits and bobs can be attached , preferably one at a time, and reboot each time to get windows to see, and install them.:major

10. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha again baklogic...thx for the reply,
    I seem to have trouble thinking of the easy way, or think of alternatives.
    My one imperative is to get access to our data and try to save it in formats that will be compatible with WIN7. That's why I 1st need to boot into WINXP...gain access and convert the files & save settings etc.
    Thanks for the WIN7 info...I'll look at it after I'm up and running with WIN-XP.
    Now, I need to find a caddie that has internal IDE connectivity for the HD and either external USB or SATA connectivity to the host computer.
    I hope such an animal exists.
    If so, can I boot up WIN-XP from such a drive and simultaneously access my Data from another identical drive???
    If so that seems to be the better alternative than trying to use these 2 IDE drives internally with all the related problems I'm experiencing.
    My only issue would be the reliability of the external caddies to perform as needed.
    Your thoughts...
    Again Mahalo plenty for all your advice and brainstorming.
    konadon

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

SOME HELP THAT MAY WELL SAVE YOU HEARTACHE......
    I WOULD PRINT THE LAST FILE OUT (A PDF FILE FROM TESCO'S- .....) AFTER READING ALL THE LINKS I OFFERED
    GET THE GENERAL IDEA FROM THE LINKS, THEN DO AS YOU WISH
    Explanations from Microsoft on migrating settings
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/windows-xp
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/setup/move-files-and-settings-to-new-computer
    SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM, FOR OFFICIAL GUIDE
    THIS IS ONE COMPLETE GUIDE TO TRANSFER SETTINGS, THAT IS NICELY SET OUT.FROM CONSUMER.ORG
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/migrating-to-windows-7/windows-easy-transfer
    Save settings to migrate xp to w7
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/migrating-to-windows-7/save-settings-in-xp
    Transfer to w7
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/migrating-to-windows-7/transfer-settings
    Here is a pdf from of all people TESCO'S, BUT its got it all, and easy to print out.
    http://direct.tesco.com/p/inc/speci...ds/Upgrading_from_Windows_XP_to_Windows_7.pdf

EXTRA YOU MIGHT LIKE
    IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE MOTHERBOARDS, AND INSTALL WITH xp
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/other/motherboard/index.htm

I trust this will give you the general idea.:guns

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

13. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Re: ASUS Mobo P7H55-M LX confusion resolved

Aloha baklogic and all who have visited,
    let me thank you Again baklogic for your patience in helping me.
    I finally contacted the vendor of the IDE2SAT25 adapter. They informed me that it's the wrong adapter. :-o
    I also contacted the vendor where I purchased the barebones system and they agreed to a swap of CPU's so that I could obtain onboard graphics functionality, which was my very 1st problem and post.
    So all my issues are in limbo until I make the swaps of all this hardware.
    This will be my last post on this subject. :wave
    Mahalo and Aloha,
    Konadon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds