Asus notebook power or motherboard failure?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by friday13, Jul 13, 2012.

1. friday13

friday13 Private E-2

I have a 3 year old ASUS N81Vp-C1 14" Notebook (purchased June 2009).
    Last week the battery died before I could plug in the AC cord. Since then, it will not power on. When plugged in, no charging light is lit. I have tried using alternate charged battery, alternate charging unit (correct size/input/output from my other Asus laptop). Still no charging light or other sign of life. I've tried removing battery, unplugging cord, and holding down power switch, then replacing cord and battery. Still no luck. Help, please! Don't know if I'm looking at motherboard failure or DC failure - but the fact that it shows no life with a good battery in it worries me.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.

If the charging light doesn't light up when the AC adapter is plugged in, it indicates the motherboard isn't receiving (or recognizing) AC input.

Since you have tried powering up the unit with a charged battery from another similar PC, it unfortunately sounds like a problem with the motherboard.

I would take it to a reputable local PC repair shop that specializes in notebook repair for a second opinion. Although the estimate may cost $40-$50, it's worth the money in case they know an inexpensive way to repair it. If the total repair cost is over $150, I'd cut my losses and buy a new PC.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

While unliely you can try to clean your connections with an eraser. Sometimes they get a bit worn. Worth a shot before you take it to a shop and pay good money to have them look at it... Otherwise Gman has it pretty right. A lot of laptops nowadaysd are throwaways as you can replace them for as little as 500 buck or even less.

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

You can go to a walmart near bye of go to there web site and bye one of there store site for like 500$ or less.

Like {MA} said most laptops now a days are throw away type deals.I agree with him

Just make sure you keep the HDD if there is personal info on it.

The HD should be fine to extract the info off of it and wipe it clean.

5. friday13

friday13 Private E-2

good news.... I disassembled the laptop, including reseating the memory chips, put it back together, and it now powers up on battery. However, the charging light still doesn't come on and so it seems it is a DC jack problem. Now to try fixing that... I'm thinking of removing and resoldering the jack to see if that helps, but if it doesn't, I'll need to get a replacement. Are the ones on Ebay ok as a rule?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds