ASUS Probe II reports low Vcore voltage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augiedoggie, Nov 14, 2009.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

OK, this is not the end of the world as we know it but it bothers me a bit as I know that under powering something can lead to catastrophic results. :cry

Specs:

ASUS A8N-E
    Athlon X2 3800+ @ stock speed
    2GB RAM
    GTX260-216 OC'd to 1500 shader clock
    Corsair TX750W PSU (3 mths. old)

EDIT: XP Pro if it matters

PC Probe II log gives me an error when the voltage gets to 1.30 V...

Should I worry?
    Should I bump up the volts a tad on the CPU through BIOS?
    Is PC Probe II full of cow patties?:-D

Just to say that this machine has never rebooted on it's own and has been running rock solid 24/7 for the last two years.:) Let me clarify that a bit, I had a Thermaltake 420W in there before but when I put in the new GPU, I also had to install a new PSU, and that's when the warnings started coming.

Any and all responses welcome.:):wine

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Have your tried a different monitoring app for comparison? I like HWmonitor. It logs the highs and lows as long as it's running so you can minimize it whilst computing. HWM has some erroneous readings for the -12v and -5v on my new motherboard (Asus M4N72-E), but PC Probe II is right on. But, for the most part, HWmonitor, is very reliable. Also, while I'm not fan (no pun intended), many folks like SpeedFan. Another good one is Everest Ultimate. This link is for the beta, the non-beta can be found here. I think the trial is good for 10 or 14 days, which should give you time to figure things out. Have you checked the VCore in the BIOS? You might have to stare at it for a bit to see what it's doing, but it's worth a shot. What's the new PSU you installed? Have you thought about maybe flashing the BIOS?
    ;)

Let us know what you discover!

[dlb]

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:-o Sometimes I'm just not too bright LOL I see you have a Corsair TX750 and it's a quality unit, so I doubt it's responsible for the fluctuation (which is pretty small at a max of .06v).

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Thanks dlb, I had forgotten about CPUID and Speedfan even though I had both loaded on there.:-o:-D Looks like PCProbe is the POS for some reason as the other two reported 1.34 to 1.36V variance and I watched them both for more than a few minutes.:zzz:-D

One would think that the same outfit that makes the PCB's would also have an advantage over others as to the accuracy of their own apps! :confused:(

OK, checking in BIOS will be a Sunday morning thing while I have a nice cup of Java to keep me going.[​IMG] As to flashing the BIOS, I'm already up to the latest release as that's what I needed to allow me to run a dual-core here.

BTW, I never flash just because it's 'new and improved', only if I need it according to the change logs and if it addresses my issue. It's not exactly like updating a video driver eh? I'm up to 190.38 nVidias ATM, just waiting to see the fallout if any from the newest ones.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds