Asus PTGD1-LA Motherboard sound issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by nunnbt473, Mar 6, 2008.

1. nunnbt473

nunnbt473 Private E-2

I read a similar topic that didnt seem to help so I thought I would post on here. The situation I am having is this. A friend asked me to repair a computer that crashed, before the crash the sound was working. So because the recovery partition failed to work properly, I overwrote that with Win XP Pro (On D:) and Win XP Home was original on C:. So I am thinking a motherboard driver may have been on this partition, however I did have to remove countless viruses from C:. I did this in such a manor in an attempt to save information from the C: main hard drive. This worked, but again there is no sound. I also dont think it is relavent, but I have yet to activate the new version of windows (only pro is working and really on here now) because I cant find my old activation key yet.

The strange this is I installed an old old Logitech Quickcam web camera and the sound for the mic on it works fine on instant messengers, however it is strictly a 1 usb conenction to a 1.0? USB port.

Windows media player / iTunes say something along the lines of "Windows Media Player cannot find the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another device installed on your computer, or or it may not be functioning properly".

Windows device manager says it has "Audio Codecs" and "Legacy Audio Drivers", but no errors with either of these sound related items.

The motherboard, according to print on both the motherboard and "EVEREST Home Edition" say it uses "Asus PTGD1-LA Motherboard". Sockets: 1 Socket 775

I already attempted a reset of the bios to no avail. I attempted to search the HP and asus websites without much luck of discovering the proper drivers for this make and model. My question is this, what drivers or bios updates might I need or where might I get them? This assuming I have no CDs which came with the computer.

Any help is apreciated.

P.S.

yes the speakers are plugged in and turned on Haha..

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm guessing that you meant the motherboard is P5GD1 - LA. I don't find the number you posted at ASUS. There are 3 models of the P5GD1 board there and none have the suffix -LA. And they use two different chipset drivers. So, I wouldn't feel right suggesting one, without the actual chipset ID on your motherboard. If you want to post back what the chipset is, that may help.
    Usually it's best to start with the chipset drivers, but if Everest is reporting the motherboard all is probably ok there.

All 3 of those boards use the Realtek ALC861 Audio Driver. You can get it here: (Just input the model # (P5GD1) in the search)
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

For some weird reason it looks like it comes as three files. (You have to download all three)
    There is a 1/3, 2/3, and 3/3

Or you can download the Generic Realtek here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_High_Definition_Audio_for_2KXP03_d4902.html
    I don't know if the MG download contains the MS UAA driver, so here is that, too. It must be installed first.
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SO...AA-Bus-Driver-for-High-Definition-Audio.shtml

And last, if this PC had Vista on it before XP, there may real problems getting it to install the audio.

3. Boba_Frett

Boba_Frett Private E-2

The Driver you are looking for is for an HP Media Center PC m1170n

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds