ASUS recovery partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by simonpiotrowski, Jun 4, 2012.

1. simonpiotrowski

simonpiotrowski Private E-2

I think my computer has been infected with a number of viruses and seems to be running slowly. I reckon the best way to deal with that would be to reinstall windows. I'm also thinking of running ubuntu on the system as well. The first question I need to know is whether the recovery partition will reinstall windows and the additional ASUS programs that were installed when I bought it. This system was bought in Spain and I was wondering whether it would revert back to Spanish(or it could even be Catalan!) when I used the recovery partition. I can't understand either so that may be a problem. I'm also insure whether it will wipe and reinstall both partitions or just C: where windows is installed. I don't want to lose files on the D: partition.

If anyone has advice on the best way to configure a dual boot. If heard that the best way is to have 3 separate partitions. Two small ones for both OSs and the third for my files. I've heard this is the best and cleanest way to configure the system. Any thoughts and/or advice. I really don't understand the recovery partition, how it works and the effects of using it.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is the exact model of the ASUS?

3. simonpiotrowski

printed on the computer itself is A52J but in England it marketed as the K52J. i3 4GB.....

4. plodr

Since we don't know if the recovery partition will reinstall in English or Spanish, I think your first step should be to visit the malware forum and have them help you clean off the computer.
    Go here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    and download the MGTools and follow the instructions.
    When you have all the logs, post a new thread here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Once you are cleaned up, come back to software and report any Windows problems, including what version of windows with service packs is on the computer.

5. simonpiotrowski

Ok, Thanks for the replies. I've read through it and it says there is a risk that running these programs could destroy the windows setup and I'm wondering if this will put all my files on the D: partition at risk. Is it best to first back everything up? If so does will windows be able to take care of that or do I need more software?

6. plodr

I can't answer that. I do not use Windows backup.

Since windows setup is on C, I don't think D will be affected. (I assume this is data and not installed programs).
    You might have to take ownership of the files on D after the computer is cleaned. One of the Geeks here can walk you through the steps if you have problems using the files on D.

7. simonpiotrowski

Ok. I ran the recommended programs and there seemed to be an issue with combo fix which hung at the end. I looked into rebooting from the recovery partition and found out I could reboot with English. I have now done so, though it's now telling me that windows may not be a geniune copy. Is this a problem? Or usual. I've not used it online yet but will that create further problems?

8. simonpiotrowski

Ok. looked into that and it seems I'll need to activate my product key when I get it online. I'll try that. After that I'll be wanting to set up a dual boot. What's your advice for setting that up? I've looked at a few guides but it seems that to get the set up I'm after, i.e 2 partitions for OS and one for files, you need to have a reinstallation disk of windows. I know there's some danger in resizing the partitions when windows is already installed. If you have any advice on the matter that would be a great help.

9. plodr

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds